British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...? Page 8

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 12:55 PM BST

Actually the good thing about Doctors is that each episode has it's own story of the day. Some are completely stand alone. It's an incredibly good opportunity for new, and old, writers to tell their own stories. They can be funny, they can be sad, they can be outlandish, they can be whatever you want them to be really. I have certainly got more comedy into Doctors than I have in any other (non sketch) show that I have written for.

Well it's nice to know it's not as depressing and oppressing as Charlie Brooker makes out. I will try and catch an episode of yours and leave feedback in Critique ;)

Quote: Leevil @ July 14 2009, 12:59 PM BST

Well it's nice to know it's not as depressing and oppressing as Charlie Brooker makes out. I will try and catch an episode of yours and leave feedback in Critique ;)

Having said that tommorow's ep of mine is not a laugh a minute cheery one but life affirming. Which is nice.

:)

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 1:01 PM BST

Having said that tommorow's ep of mine is not a laugh a minute cheery one but life affirming. Which is nice.

It echoes your posts then? ;)

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 1:01 PM BST

LOL. Well, I need some life affirmation.

Quote: chipolata @ July 14 2009, 1:01 PM BST

It echoes your posts then? ;)

Depends if I have been at the whisky or not!

Plus I get to write songs for doctors. Here's one. http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/enjoy/userMediaDetails.jsp?userMediaId=916

Quote: chipolata @ July 14 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Northern toss.

You southern toss! (I've never watched The Street though)

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 1:06 PM BST

Plus I get to write songs for doctors. Here's one. http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/enjoy/userMediaDetails.jsp?userMediaId=916

It's like the gift that keeps on giving!

I'm sort-of in agreement with Chip here. I've never understood why if a drama is about "the north" it seems to be inherently "realistic", "gritty", "warm", "challenging" and all the other cliches that seem to get attributed to these shows.

Personally, though I loved 'GBH', Bleasedale's 'Boys From The Blackstuff' I found cloyingly-sentimental, sometimes cringeworthy, occasionally just laughable. I, too, wanted them to get jobs, if only to stop them bloody talking about their predicament for bleedin' hours on end.

And, on another point, if Liverpudlians are so hee-larious, why do I find sitcoms set in Liverpool (OK, let's be honest, Carla Lane sitcoms) so desperately unfunny? Where is the great Scouse sitcom, illustrating their oh-so-wonderful sense of humour?

Oh, final point about 'Doctors'. Most of us are c**ts, a point that never seems to be made in this show. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 14 2009, 1:18 PM BST

Carla Lane "sitcoms"

Sick

I think the 'Carla Lane' bit is the answer.

I'm sort-of in agreement with Chip here. I've never understood why if a drama is about "the north" it seems to be inherently "realistic", "gritty", "warm", "challenging" and all the other cliches that seem to get attributed to these shows.

Well yeah, none of it relates to my experience of the north really.

Oh, final point about 'Doctors'. Most of us are c**ts, a point that never seems to be made in this show. :)

I think I have mentioned this before, but I wondered why the show didn't just consist of the GP saying "Oh dear", writing out an irrelevant prescription and badgering you to have your smear test. :)

My sister had one GP text throughout her whole consultation and another have a nervous breakdown and end up in tears.

Those spectacles of yours really aren't rose tinted are they!

:D

Please make reference to Tim Walker in the show, somehow. It would make me so happy.

It's also probably the best opportunity for a new writer to make that leap from amateur to professional on TV at the moment. So from a writer's persective worth having a look at some. Like I said it's like a Cardinals egg episode wise - excellent in parts, some not so.