British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 66

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 12 2009, 3:02 PM BST

This week, in order to test whether my emails are actually getting through, I have simply transcribed one of last week's successful sketches verbatim and submitted it as my own work. That way, if I hear my sketch broadcast on Thursday I know it got to them.

A cunning wheeze. :D

Last sketch plus vox pops off this morning. Defo the worst of the bunch, but after last week, I've decided just to relax a little and accept that someone else might find it hilarious. One thing's for sure, I can't do any worse than I am doing right now. ;)

I sent in the whole of last weeks episode and have now sat in my shed flashing a torch and playing a kazoo. Thus pretending I have a time machine and have gone back a week in time.

If this works I may repeat the experiment with the Goon Show.

I've sent in my material this week - three sketches (including "Miles Undercover" and "From the Archive") and three gags (both "Vox Pops" and "Corrections").

Only managed the one sketch this week. I'll do some Vox Pop gags tomorrow in case the saucer men invade.

Sent something in just under the wire (with hundreds of others no doubt). However, the auto-reply came back a smidgeon after twelve. Wonder if that means my email ended up missing the deadline...

Just another layer of the 'what ifs'...

Quote: clueless @ July 13 2009, 12:19 PM BST

Sent something in just under the wire (with hundreds of others no doubt). However, the auto-reply came back a smidgeon after twelve. Wonder if that means my email ended up missing the deadline...

Great. People are getting autoreplies. And I am not. Again.

I rather enjoyed this show last week, which I only got to hear at the weekend.
The 'plinth' gag was very good as were the Macintyre and Big Brother sketches.

Any of these created by the BCG writers?

I've submitted four scripts since the show started. This is the first week I've got the auto reply. Does this mean the others weren't received?

Quote: Writersbloc @ July 13 2009, 3:30 PM BST

I've submitted four scripts since the show started. This is the first week I've got the auto reply. Does this mean the others weren't received?

I don't think anybody here knows the answer to that question.

Welcome to the forum too :)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 13 2009, 1:14 PM BST

I rather enjoyed this show last week, which I only got to hear at the weekend.
The 'plinth' gag was very good as were the Macintyre and Big Brother sketches.

It's certainly improved a lot since the early episodes. It's far pacier now, with less fat. Although isn't this the sort of thing we should be discussing in some kind of "Current radio comedy..." thread?

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 9:38 AM BST

I sent in the whole of last weeks episode and have now sat in my shed flashing a torch and playing a kazoo. Thus pretending I have a time machine and have gone back a week in time.

If this works I may repeat the experiment with the Goon Show.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Your time machine description really tickled me there sooty.

Well I've sent in a sketch this week and I'll bang together some Vox Pops tomorrow.

Fingeys crossed.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 13 2009, 4:45 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Your time machine description really tickled me there sooty.

Well I've sent in a sketch this week and I'll bang together some Vox Pops tomorrow.

Fingeys crossed.

That's the spirit! With commitment like that, how can you possibly fail!

Quote: clueless @ July 13 2009, 12:19 PM BST

I always get my auto-reply at 12:02 on Monday and my stuff has got through, so you should be ok on that count. Didn't have any time to write anything for the show so far but may stick in a few Vox pops tomorrow.

Ah thank you Nuts! That's exactly what my auto-reply said - 12:02.

That simplifies matters. Now it's down to - IF it's as lame as my previous entries...

:)