British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...? Page 4

Bodies.

F**king great series. Which hardly anybody saw. Although I know zooo likes it.

People witter on about how 'we' don't make great drama like The Wire or Sopranos or whatever, but, for my money, Bodies is easily up there with those. Trouble is, programmes like Bodies are not of mass appeal and don't tend to last long. Or get promoted much when they are on. And so those 'types' of programme don't tend to get made all that often.

Never liked Bodies. I just couldn't get into it.

Quote: Robert D @ July 13 2009, 1:31 PM BST

Never liked Bodies. I just couldn't get into it.

You fool! You foolish fool!

Seriouly, if you ever get access to it I implore you to give it another shot. I do I do I do.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 13 2009, 1:30 PM BST

Bodies.

F**king great series. Which hardly anybody saw. Although I know zooo likes it.

Yes I diddddd!
I flipping loved that show.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 13 2009, 1:34 PM BST

You fool! You foolish fool!

Seriouly, if you ever get access to it I implore you to give it another shot. I do I do I do.

I shall try as I always do but just keep this in mind, I like The Green Green Grass. Does that say enough about my taste? Pleased

I have tried several times to get into The Wire, and I just can't at all. I loved the Sopranos and all that sort of thing, I even love one of the actors in it (Aidan Gillen - although he's putting on an American accent and that always annoys me.)
It's just boring.
Cannot understand why everyone's so massively orgasmic over it.

Quote: Robert D @ July 13 2009, 1:36 PM BST

I shall try as I always do but just keep this in mind, I like The Green Green Grass. Does that say enough about my taste? Pleased

I will, sir, never darken your door again!

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2009, 1:38 PM BST

I have tried several times to get into The Wire, and I just can't at all. I loved the Sopranos and all that sort of thing, I even love one of the actors in it (Aidan Gillen - although he's putting on an American accent and that always annoys me.)
It's just boring.
Cannot understand why everyone's so massively orgasmic over it.

I think I've said before on The Wire thread, that there's a massive problem with anybody coming to The Wire now, that being that everybody (at least the chattering press & co), are informing us quite forcefully that The Wire is 'The Greatest Televison Drama Ever' tm. Thus creating such a sense of expectation that it is never likely to be met.

Personally, I hate being told what is good. I like to find these things out for myself. Fortunately I got into The Wire a few years ago when people weren't spunking their pants about it in such a manner.

And how, really, can you justify anything being 'The Greatest...thing...ever'?

Much as I like The Wire, I much prefer 'Six Feet Under' from the HBO programmes.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 13 2009, 1:54 PM BST

I think I've said before on The Wire thread, that there's a massive problem with anybody coming to The Wire now, that being that everybody (at least the chattering press & co), are informing us quite forcefully that The Wire is 'The Greatest Televison Drama Ever' tm. Thus creating such a sense of expectation that it is never likely to be met.

Haha, yes indeed.

I liked Six Feet Under too.

The Wire just seems like one more CSI type thing, nothing special.

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2009, 2:11 PM BST

The Wire just seems like one more CSI type thing, nothing special.

Another thing that a lot of Wire devotees also trot out, is the notion that all other televison looks a bit rubbish after you've seen The Wire. Which is terrible nonsense. It's always quite amusing the shit people come out with when they're trying to appear impressive.

Survivors - the original 70s series.
Auf Wiedersehn Pet
Cold feet
Lotus Eaters
Mistresses (And anything with Sarah Parish in it.
Blackpool.

......and let me think more.

Quote: Chappers @ July 13 2009, 2:29 PM BST

Mistresses (And anything with Sarah Parish in it.

This is best drama, not most fanciable female. ;)

I never watch any of that police/detective/forensic stuff, it just doesn't interest me.

Does anyone like Brideshead Revisited? I enjoyed it on the original transmission and watched it again recently and it was just as good.

I haven't seen I Claudius yet, but that is very highly rated.

The Street
Minder
The Lakes

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:55 AM BST

The Prisoner.

Of course!

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 13 2009, 1:07 PM BST

1. Jonathan Creek
3. The Sweeney
4. Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (series 1 and 2)

And them.

I will endorse

Bodies
Edge of Darkness
Boys From The Blackstuff
Auf Wiedersehn Pet
Cold Comfort Farm
Our Friends In The North
Porterhouse Blue
A Very British Coup
Life Story
A Very Peculiar Practice
GBH

I am not a big fan of Potter or Poliakoff, though they have had their moments. I have Love On A Branch Line on DVD but have not round to watching it yet.

I will also throw into the mix:

Underworld
I Claudius
Elizabeth R
Foyle's War
Cardiac Arrest
Between The Lines
When The Boat Comes In

Pretty much all of the Beeb's Gaskell adaptations
Loads of Plays for Today, but those by Peter McDougal (The Elephant's Graveyard etc) were very special.

And I am sure there is loads of stuff just as good that I have forgotten.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 13 2009, 1:30 PM BST

Bodies.

F**king great series. Which hardly anybody saw.

I saw it. The first series was indeed awesome. However the second series, and the special that ended it all, seemed to just go round in circles, endlessly repeating itself. That said, how the Keith Allen character was sacked was brilliant.