British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 5

Is any 15 minute piece a sitcom?

Quote: Griff @ July 12 2009, 8:47 PM BST

Well, yes, Alan Bennett could write a 15-minute two-hander scene and it would be marvellous. Would it be a sitcom though?

Not sure. But the funniest piece I saw at a Sitcom Trials this year (and which won the heat) was a two-hander scene that was more of a sketch. It was funny, well-acted but not what I'd call a sitcom - but there you go...

Quote: Griff @ July 12 2009, 8:51 PM BST

These aren't even 15 minutes, they're going to be 10.

Badge - it's your turn to argue with Griff tonight. :D

Quote: Griff @ July 12 2009, 9:23 PM BST

I was agreeing with Badge actually - if (by his logic) a 15-minute piece isn't really a sitcom, then surely a 10-minute one, which is what we have this year, would be even less so.

But thanks for stirring anyway.

(Personally I think you can have a sitcom in 15 minutes, or I wouldn't be entering.)

So you don't agree with Badge then?

Quote: Griff @ July 12 2009, 9:31 PM BST

Oh I'm not f**king bothering. You work it out.

Calm down! Sorry I can't work it out. Or why you'd think I was 'stirring', when I was joking.

You agree with Badge that a sitcom can't be 15 minutes, yet you think a sitcom can be 15 minutes. You can't really blame for not understanding that!

The script will be 12-13 mins with the payoff so perhaps everybody wins, yeah?

A few questions as a trials newbie...

I take it you can't really have a scene change with this format? everything must happen in the office, or the classroom etc? and I imagine the props are pretty limited right?

Also are the actors cast after the scripts? So if I wrote in an obese character would they cast one or would I have to make do with who was available?

Thanks

Okay. But you were pleased when you thought someone was annoying me on another thread?

I don't really get it....

Sorry, is this the 10 minute argument or the 15 minute one?

Quote: Badge @ July 12 2009, 10:18 PM BST

Sorry, is this the 10 minute argument or the 15 minute one?

Don't mention the argument. I nearly mentioned it, but I think I got away with it. Laughing out loud

Quote: Tom G @ July 12 2009, 9:57 PM BST

The script will be 12-13 mins with the payoff so perhaps everybody wins, yeah?

A few questions as a trials newbie...

I take it you can't really have a scene change with this format? everything must happen in the office, or the classroom etc? and I imagine the props are pretty limited right?

Also are the actors cast after the scripts? So if I wrote in an obese character would they cast one or would I have to make do with who was available?

Thanks

It's not limited to one scene. Just make them clear and stageable.

They will cast good actors I can assure you. I've subsequently seen one from this May's show in a couple of TV adverts.

INT. KITCHEN.

Cut to:

EXT. GRAND CANYON.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 12 2009, 10:20 PM BST

Don't mention the argument. I nearly mentioned it, but I think I got away with it. Laughing out loud

Yeah yeah yeah. But what about this option business?

:D

I'd sell my grandmother to have a sitcom produced (with or without options)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 12 2009, 9:58 PM BST

Okay. But you were pleased when you thought someone was annoying me on another thread?

Somebody else annoying you? That's my f**king job! Angry

Also, I might enter this this year, although I always think it's biased towards writers with the most number of noisy friends.

Yeah yeah yeah. But what about this option business?

I'm waiting on this too.

Bit confused about this option stuff.
Does it mean they'll pay us an option fee to secure it for themselves to shop around?

And the audience nonsense where the most mates wins. Hmm.

I'd actually go BY MYSELF, so when I lost, I lost fairly. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 13 2009, 11:57 AM BST

I'm waiting on this too.

Bit confused about this option stuff.
Does it mean they'll pay us an option fee to secure it for themselves to shop around?

And the audience nonsense where the most mates wins. Hmm.

I'd actually go BY MYSELF, so when I lost, I lost fairly. :P

What it means is that if some of the industry people there see your sitcom and want to develop it, say the BBC for example, you are not allowed to develop it with them without first asking the Theatre and the producers of the Trials if they wish to be involved in the process as co-producers or just taking a percentage of what you earn from the sitcom in the future, like an agent would. I'm not sure if they are offering money for this or it's just a condition for having your work staged and showcased by them - this is the kind of clarification I was hoping for.