British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...? Page 3

Does anyone remember a surreal/scifi drama from the 80s called something like The Pyramid Game?

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:41 AM BST

Dreadful? You saw Gina Bellman's tits!

I was so bored by that point they might as well have been Bernard Manning's.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:41 AM BST

Does anyone remember a surreal/scifi drama from the 80s called something like The Pyramid Game?

No. I remember Saphire and Steel, though. Now that REALLY was surreal.

The Singing Detective was a class act. (*cringes remembering the Hollywood movie re-make*)
Threads was pretty good, if one could see past the whole "we're going to die in a nuclear holocaust" thing at the time.

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:43 AM BST

No. I remember Saphire and Steel, though. Now that REALLY was surreal.

Watched it avidly as a kid. Though if you asked me to describe what is was about (time and space-travelling detectives?) or remember a single episode now I'd be at a loss.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:44 AM BST

The Singing Detective was a class act. (*cringes remembering the Hollywood movie re-make*)

I quite enjoyed the last two shows he did, Cold Lazarus and Karaoke. They weren't particularly well recieved at the time, but they seem head and shoulders above the pre-processed pap we get served up nowadays.

Also woth mentioning the mighty Day of the Triffds. Interesting to see what the upcoming remake's like.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:46 AM BST

Watched it avidly as a kid. Though if you asked me to describe what is was about (time and space-travelling detectives?) or remember a single episode now I'd be at a loss.

I got it on DVD recently. Good for Joanna Lumley and reliving childhood TV memories, but not a patch on Doctor Who (except perhaps for some of the worst Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy stories). Imagine Doctor Who but with two doctors and neither of them particularly charismatic, but fortunately one of them is a babe.

The Prisoner.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:15 AM BST

Our Friends In The North
A Very Peculiar Practice
This Life
Cracker
Porterhouse Blue

Great stuff. I'd also add Cops to that; underrated imo.

Agreed.

Threads was pretty good, if one could see past the whole "we're going to die in a nuclear holocaust" thing at the time.

There's was an ace episode with people trapped in photos and it had deliberately bad cliffhangers

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:47 AM BST

I quite enjoyed the last two shows he did, Cold Lazarus and Karaoke. They weren't particularly well recieved at the time, but they seem head and shoulders above the pre-processed pap we get served up nowadays.

Also woth mentioning the mighty Day of the Triffds. Interesting to see what the upcoming remake's like.

The annoying thing is they were supposed to be shown on BBC2 and C4 on alternating nights, as both scripts informed the other. But they were shown separately completely, so didn't make much sense.

1. Jonathan Creek
2. Edge of Darkness
3. The Sweeney
4. Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (series 1 and 2)

Cracker
Queer As Folk
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Life on Mars

Back in the olden days, British television drama was ace, skill and fab -

The Professionals
The Prisoner
Old Doctor Who
Doomwatch
Threads
The Sweeny
Blakes 7

The last great drama series I wold classify as British (even thoguh it wasn't) was Rome.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 13 2009, 1:13 PM BST

Blakes 7

I always think that's a show with puppets on strings.
God knows what I'm getting it mixed up with...

The Camomile Lawn I thought was excellent. As was Edge of Darkness and Porterhouse Blue.

A Touch of Frost.

Quote: roscoff @ July 13 2009, 1:22 PM BST

The Camomile Lawn I thought was excellent.

So did I, but I was about thirteen at the time, so the fact it had lots of bare lady folk every week may have swung my opinion.