British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...? Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:15 AM BST

Our Friends In The North (bit preachy-lefty, but still..)

I forgot about this. Brilliant ambitious stuff. :)

Edge of Darkness, Threads we do dystopian thrillers better than anyone.

Minder (comedy.drama)

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:24 AM BST

Great shows, both.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:24 AM BST

Ooh, can't believe I forgot about this. Nice one, soot!

I would also say Quatermass. Yes, technically science fiction, but so much more really.

Quatermass was kick ass hard to believe something that primitive could be so scary.

And of course When the Wind Blows.

We shouldn't forget Dennis Potter, especially Pennies from Heaven and The Singing Detective. We should forget Stephen Poliakoff, who has single-handedly redefined tedium.

Shooting The Past
Life Story - brilliant docu-drama series on the discovery of DNA by Watson & Crick (starring Tim Piggot-Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Juliet Stevenson)
The Common Pursuit - another one-off adaptation, but really good, with Andrew McCarthy, Stephen Fry, Tim Roth, to name but three.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:30 AM BST

Shooting The Past?

Meh!

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:30 AM BST

Meh!

It's a bit snobbish, upper middle-class and goes on a bit, but it gets you (or me, at least).

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 11:30 AM BST

Shooting The Past
Life Story - brilliant docu-drama series on the discovery of DNA by Watson & Crick (starring Tim Piggot-Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Juliet Stevenson)
The Common Pursuit - another one-off adaptation, but really good, with Andrew McCarthy, Stephen Fry, Tim Roth, to name but three.

That was good Poliakoff is entertaining once you pick through what a snotty snob he is.

I also enjoyed The Alan Clarke Diaries. And, as Sooty mentioned in another thread, early Grangehill's worth noting.

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:29 AM BST

We shouldn't forget Dennis Potter, especially Pennies from Heaven and The Singing Detective. We should forget Stephen Poliakoff, who has single-handedly redefined tedium.

Great when he wasn't being a dirty old bastard.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:36 AM BST

That was good Poliakoff is entertaining once you pick through what a snotty snob he is.

That may be true, but I don't believe he's a great TV writer. He's far better suited to other mediums.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:37 AM BST

Great when he wasn't being a dirty old bastard.

He was at his best in dirty old bastard mould!

Blackeyes? That was just dreadful.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2009, 11:39 AM BST

Blackeyes? That was just dreadful.

Dreadful? You saw Gina Bellman's tits!