British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...?

There was a brief discussion last week on great TV dramas and almost without exception, the shows mentioned were American (somebody might have mentioned Jonathon Creek). So what are everybody's favourite British TV dramas? Here's a few of mine:

Cracker
GBH
State of Play
Life on Mars
Doctor Who
North Square (criminally underwatched Channel 4 legal drama)

One of my favourites was Boys From The Blackstuff.

Couldn't think of any off the top of mt head. Which is weird, cos I know there is loads. Looked on the list of Channel 4 dramas,

Shameless
Sugar Rush

That's all Huh?

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ July 13 2009, 10:43 AM BST

One of my favourites was Boys From The Blackstuff.

Classic Bleasedale. Plus I've always loved Bernard Hill. One of the few palatable Liverpudlians.

I'd like to say Minder and A Very Peculiar Practice, but in my opinion they're more comedy than drama. So perhaps House of Cards, To Play the King and The Final Cut.

Quote: Leevil @ July 13 2009, 10:50 AM BST

Sugar Rush

Mainly for the sexy black girl and the spanking. :$

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 10:38 AM BST

Doctor Who

Were you a fan of Tom Baker's companion Leela?

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 10:51 AM BST

Mainly for the sexy black girl and the spanking. :$

;)

Quote: Kenneth @ July 13 2009, 10:51 AM BST

So perhaps House of Cards, To Play the King and The Final Cut.

You could include them, but I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 10:56 AM BST

You could say include them, but I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

And Leela? You have no comment on her?

Quote: Kenneth @ July 13 2009, 11:02 AM BST

And Leela? You have no comment on her?

Doctor Who's Leela? Played by Jim Bergerac's missus? I could happily "comment" all over her. Lovey

Our Friends In The North (bit preachy-lefty, but still..)
Traffic
GBH
The Monocled Mutineer
A Very Peculiar Practice (I agree that it's comedy-drama, but it's brilliant, and makes me wish that Andrew Davies would get back to writing originals rather then adaptations.)
A Very British Coup
Love On A Branch Line - delightful adaptation
A Very British Marriage - Finney, Courtenay & Lumbley - great stuff.
This Life - not including the awful reunion, but was in its own little way quite ground-breaking. Sometimes too bloody pleased with itself, but well-written and quite compelling.
Cold Comfort Farm - another adaptation, of course, but a brilliant cast and an example of the BBC doing a one-off drama so well if they put their minds to it.
Cracker
State Of Play
Red Riding - getting some love (see below. I didn't watch this.)

Oh, and Porterhouse Blue - C4's adaptation the best Tom Sharpe brought to screen as yet.

One of the worst?

The House Of Elliot - dreadful beyond words, though with a tasty lead actress in it.

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:04 AM BST

Doctor Who's Leela? Played by Jim Bergerac's missus? I could happily "comment" all over her. Lovey

Louise Jameson, yes. Last week I found Series 1 of Tenko (World War II drama about British/European women held in POW camp in Singapore) on DVD at my local library. In episode 3, Louise Jameson undresses. Alas, it was a classic case of you should never meet your heroes.

Let's see Red Riding get some love.

Looked and sounded great but was incomprehensible to the point of dullness.

It's not a good show when you don't know why the police officer is making the rat bite the naked priest.

But how about a Very British Coup?