British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 65

Funnily enough, I was talking to my other half earlier (rare I know!) and I said "hey, those scientists who created that sperm in test tubes... maybe they wanked into it."

And lo and behold, the same kind of joke was on Johnathan Ross tonight.

I did actually consider a joke along those lines for Newsrevue but decided it was too obvious. Not for Wossy though apparently.

The obvious joke (along those lines) was used in Newsjack.
I think the story broke late enough for them not to be inundated with it.

Quote: JohnnyD @ July 11 2009, 12:10 AM BST

The obvious joke (along those lines) was used in Newsjack.
I think the story broke late enough for them not to be inundated with it.

Yep. I'd already written a Vox Pop for next week but now they've done it it's gone in my bin.

Quote: Badge @ July 11 2009, 1:17 AM BST

Yep. I'd already written a Vox Pop for next week but now they've done it it's gone in my bin.

My Vox Pop bin is full to the brim

Quote: R.J. @ July 10 2009, 2:36 PM BST

What you CAN do is make a note of events that are due to take place in the near future (for example, the unveiling of the fourth plinth) and write generic sketches about them.

This is good advice!

How many episodes of this are left? I've actually not written anything for it since episode two, distracted by other things.

There are two episodes left.

Two more now. The final furlong.

Just wondering (I haven't been paying much attention) who, like me, has written for Newsjack every week but not yet had anything on. Or is it just me?

Yep 100s like us, the poor unfunny witless hord banging on the door of the BBC like an unfunny zombie hord.

Ever written for News Revue it's an easier gig albeit it's only on the stage in London.

Has anyone else, despite initially thinking 'I'm going to spam the shit out of the producers', ended up sending precisely zero sketches?

Or is it just me? I've decided I'm just rubbish at topical satire.

Now then Pripyat.

What sort of comedy do you usually write? Keep in mind the sketches don't have to be satirical, i.e. well-researched, hard-hitting attacks on authority or anything like that. So long as they refer to a recent news story they're in with a shout. In an earlier post I was rambling on about getting some sort of balance between your own style and that of the show your submitting to - could it be that you're just being too restrictive of yourself and not allowing your own style to come through?

Saying all that, I need to get a bloody move on if I'm to get anything off this week. Hard work, this writing lark!

Can anyone recommend a good psychiatrist for when the series is over? :S

I'm yet to get anything on this elusive show.

Mind you. I'm going the more difficult route of sketches.

I've had "nearly/you were so close" emails with feedback from the producers, then when I think I've given them exactly what they want, one of their in-house writers has written a sketch on the same subject. AGHH!

I listened to the show on iPlayer yesterday.
That BT sketch was strange as it wasn't about the BT news story - the one where BT are giving holidays to their staff in return for pay cuts.
My sketch WAS, but the obviously couldn't use mine as it would be silly having two BT sketches. ANOTHER AGHH!

I think the best sketch was the Big Brother one.

This week, in order to test whether my emails are actually getting through, I have simply transcribed one of last week's successful sketches verbatim and submitted it as my own work. That way, if I hear my sketch broadcast on Thursday I know it got to them.