British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 63

What was your Vox pop Jane ?
I'm just downloading the podcast now.

I'm also surprised that anyone's still doing the Andy Murray Scottish/British one btw.

There was some good stuff ont he show, but then there was some stuff that made me think 'if this made it to the show, why the hell was my stuff not even recorded!'. Frustrating. Oh well another Friday of browsing through the nes pages trying to make something funny!

I think the show seems to be getting faster and more frenetic! A lot of sketches whizzed by without me getting any handle on them at all. I think there should be a two page limit for all sketches this week and a one sentence line limit, because that seems to be the style.

I don't want to seem like sour grapes, and I loved a lot of the material, but I have to echo some of the comments about the more obvious targets. The lessons of the last three weeks seemed to have been, don't be obvious about the treatment of the news. Now there seems to be stuff that, well, was obvious. And yes, I had another Facebook James Bond sketch that was all ready to go and yet I didn't send because.... well.

I actually liked the Mike McIntyre thing. It could be a good recurring character.

I finally got a correction on. That's my 2009 Writer Ambition fulfilled.

Nice one chip.

Quote: biddyhell @ July 10 2009, 9:11 AM BST

I actually liked the Mike McIntyre thing. It could be a good recurring character.

*hastily rewrites all his 'Miles Undercover' sketches*

Which brings me to the unsurprising observation that this is the third open-submissions show in a row where most of the "special features" advertised in the writers brief have been a no-go area.

Yeah, I liked the McIntyre thing.

What is the breakdown of sketches by noncomm writers over the series so far?

Funny stuff guys and gals :)

Quote: chipolata @ July 10 2009, 9:57 AM BST

I finally got a correction on. That's my 2009 Writer Ambition fulfilled.

So now we know your name.

Quote: ForzaCarra @ July 10 2009, 8:47 AM BST

There was some good stuff ont he show, but then there was some stuff that made me think 'if this made it to the show, why the hell was my stuff not even recorded!'. Frustrating. Oh well another Friday of browsing through the nes pages trying to make something funny!

It's all a bit of a lottery really. I was getting two sketches an episode on Tilt but, when I have submitted to Newsjack, not even a one-liner!

Quote: chipolata @ July 10 2009, 10:07 AM BST

Yeah, I liked the McIntyre thing.

What is the breakdown of sketches by noncomm writers over the series so far?

Very few sketchs I believe, but probably most of the vox pops and corrections.

Back on the horse! One sketch off and away! Maybe two more over t'weekend. HEADS DOWN FOR THE FINAL CHARGE: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!! >_<

Quote: Jane P @ July 10 2009, 7:32 AM BST

Oops that would be my fault, sorry. But firstly it went down really well 'live' and Lewis' impression is great, and secondly it was written by someone on here who wouldn't have seen your script RC if that's any consolation? Thirdly, I still think it was funny and nicely observed!

And *finally* positive discrimination for the Js! :)

Two BCG'ers coming up with the same idea on the same week and submitting it to the same show. Aaargh!

Listening to last night's broadcast, something else also struck me, we have a deadline of Monday and at least half the jokes were from events that happened on Tuesday and Wednesday.

How can you compete with that without a Tardis, wormhole, sling shot around the sun?

So what is his name, Dolly? Which one of the list of writers is he?

Quote: Griff @ July 10 2009, 2:13 PM BST

Actually I'm not sure I even was on last night. My name is on the list, and I got a congratulations email from sexy Telusha, but I didn't hear my correction.

Aye, congrats to those who made the cut this week. As there is no emoticon which comes close to denoting 'supportiveness of others with an undercurrent of mild frustration and despair' you'll just have to make do with this... Pirate (Might as well get some use out of it.)

I thought this week's episode was the best so far.

Quote: Griff @ July 10 2009, 2:13 PM BST

Well it's not Jane....

He's probably an Andy.

Or Rumplestiltskin, or Father Todd Unctious.