British Comedy Guide

The Works - seeking sketch writers! Page 7

They can't see me -- I'm clearly so far away from this, the curvature of the Earth is blocking the view...

Dan

It's only been the last week or so since the "rewrite emails" have been darkening some people's inboxes, so presumably they've only recently started ploughing through them.

Have patience, people. :)

Not getting asked to do a rewrite doesn't mean you've been rejected.

Hello everyone!

We'd like to say an enormous thank you to everyone who has submitted their writing to The Works!

We have been overwhelmed with the quantity and quality of the work we've received. We have now chosen the sketches we're going to work with for the July show. We're extremely sorry not to have been able to reply to everyone who has worked so hard to send their writing, but not being chosen is not a reflection on the writing: there were lots of factors and the standard was high. Please do submit ideas in the future - we hope to be doing the show again in September and will get in touch with details closer to the time.

If you would like to come along to the July show ticket details will be here in the next few days. It's be great to have you all there!

All the very best, and thank you once again for your hard work,

Isabel Fay & The Works Team

I saw this advertised in the standard today.
I remember Issy Suttie was one of the performers as well.

Anyone on here going to have any sketches performed ?

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2009, 10:05 AM BST

Mr Chapman you are more than welcome, can you driect?

No - I can't driect.

I totally forgot about this. Looks like I'm going to be a massive success.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ July 2 2009, 9:07 PM BST

Anyone on here going to have any sketches performed ?

Lee's shameless plug

A few names on the flyer that should be familiar. I have not heard back from them since I handed in my rewrite, but since they seem to be telling people if material has been dropped, fingers crossed I am in.

I am looking forward to the show - and looking forward to visiting Madame Jojo's.

Madame Jojo's

http://www.madamejojos.com/cabaret/the_works/index.html

Someone's just reminded me about this. I don't think I can make it which is a shame as it would have been good to see what I'm aiming for! It all looks quite impressive.

Well done to everyone who had scripts accepted. I hope the night is a success all round.

JP

I did manage to go after all (yes I would go to the opening of a comedy envelope at the moment).

This was a very good professional show - excellent actors - including people off the telly, funny scripts and a great director. And I believe some influential people in the audience too (plus the chap from Mitchell and Webb who isn't Mitchell or Webb).

I think this is going to happen every two months. I'd recommend people submit (although I don't know the details) - I'd love to have been involved.

I didn't know who might be there but it was lovely to bump into Yacob and see Julie again (who was a finalist in the Sitcom Trials amongst other things) and a couple of other familiar faces.

I'm now looking forward to having a go for the next run, failing, and going along again anyway.

:)

My sketch was on early, so I was able to relax and enjoy the rest of the show. I will echo Jane's comments. A very polished production (astonishingly so in fact - I saw the rehearsal!) and some great performances. A packed house seemed to lap it up. I really hope David and Isabel are encouraged to do this again.

Well I wore my best dress, but in the end it was just me. Talk about embarrassed!

A first for me. I had missed it at the reshearsals, so I did not know quite what to expect. It came as something of a relief when someone actually laughed... Good buzz though.

Well done Timbo. Sounds like another good opportunity if it continues.

I can't believe Timbo avoided me again! Twice in one week. ;)

But very well done - I know the sketch he did now - it was early on and went down really well.

It was an 'interesting' location. But definitely a comedy crowd - nice packed house.

Then at the end we were herded out very quickly - it seemed polite not to ask why. :O

So what kind of sketches did they use? Topical, shorts, bizarre, mixed bag? Was there a theme?

No theme at all, but nothing topical, and most sketches were quite long. They included a few runners.