British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 52

Quote: Jane P @ July 1 2009, 10:41 PM BST

They did the Glove one - went down well - Wimbledon was mentioned a few times including a couple of VPs I think and Glastonbury mentioned once from memory.

The emails they send are quite vague - I'd assumed last week they meant they recorded one of mine but it was two so fingers crossed you have more!

And yes you're correct Griff - finally I've found an outlet for the voices in my head! I'm looking forward to hearing yours again on the radio.

Jx

Thanks Jayne - great to know and good that I can completely delude myself for 24 hours into thinking I have possibly 4 or 5 in the running...

Congrats to all who got in again. It's nice to hear of tales of glory. I'm assuming all those who did had e-mails this evening, given the Producer's comments. Any more spoilers, Jane?

I will never give up. NEVER!!! :( :( :D Angry >_<

Yay! Woohoo! :)

Griff -- sketch good was yours. The guy in front of us got major giggles about halfway through. To be honest, it's a shame me, Jane, Badge and Carparks rendered it unuseable by booing at the end... ;)

It was quite funny watching Lewis having to do a pick-up in your sketch. "Lewis! Halfway down that page! Do Yoda *now*!". Poor fella... :)

Congrats to people who got stuff on!

Dan

Congrats to all who got recorded and good to meet Swerytd and Mr Carpark for the first time (and Jane again). Fingers crossed everyone makes the final edit.

@Little Jersey Devil - don't worry about the blacklist, Dan seems to have got himself off it so keep at it.

@The Producer - if yours was the glove one they recorded it was a killer and went down very well. If not someone has done a better glove voxpop I'm afraid!

@Griff - even though I didn't get lots of the references I thought your sketch went down well and I'd be surprised if it doesn't make the cut. Congrats either way, but I'm sure they won't cut Lewis doing a funny voice!

Congrats to all who know they got in.

I won't be able to listen to the show tomorrow night to see if I got in as I'll be in London watching NewsRevue.
(I'll have to catch it on iPlayer.)

Or will they email me tomorrow?

I just hope they didn't delete my submission email without reading as my email name is Mikey Jackson, and they might assume someone's playing a sick joke. :P

Quote: biddyhell @ July 1 2009, 11:06 PM BST

Congrats to all who got in again. It's nice to hear of tales of glory. I'm assuming all those who did had e-mails this evening, given the Producer's comments. Any more spoilers, Jane?

I will never give up. NEVER!!! :( :( :D Angry >_<

That's the spirit Biddy - we must all follow Dan's lead - they hated him for ages but he perservered and won them over with a witty quip. One that could run and run. :)

I don't want to properly spoil it for people re jokes but I thought Miles who is always great was on top form. I don't know if he takes lines from other writers or does all his own links. In terms of what to think about sending: They did Newsbullet again - so that's been in every episode. Another archive sketch - again I think that's each week. Another war correspondent one although in more of a silly rather than satirical way. One about the police review on crowd control.

On the whole it was very topical - I don't think it's really worth submitting sketches or even vox pops that aren't news related.

There were less of Lewis' great impressions which I love - apart from Brown of course who seems to feature each week. So I'll be trying to get his Terry Wogan back again next week somehow. :)

Same number of Vox Pops and Corrections - ie a ratio of about 3 to 1 there.

It's the first time I've seen Lewis make a mistake. He was meant to say Nwsbllt - even faster without the vowels (or something along those lines). But he thought it was a typing error so he said it normally and the producer had to tell him the joke.

I'll be interested to hear it on the radio still as some of the sketches seemed a bit below par this week (not Griff's). But personally it may have been because it was such a hot day/ evening in London which had addled my brain a bit. Speaking of which I did enjoy the one about the heatwave though.

And generally there were some top lines throughout the show and lots of genuine laughter apart from Dan's booing til they used his.

Jx

Quote: Badge @ July 1 2009, 11:55 PM BST

@Little Jersey Devil - don't worry about the blacklist, Dan seems to have got himself off it so keep at it.

Actually the blacklist Dan, Danny and myself are on doesn't refer to them using our material - they do that - it's about then getting invite4d to workshops, etc, that other people are invited to.

She makes them using our material sound a lot more regular than it actually is, btw...

Dan

Well done everyone.

More misery for me then.

Yeah, you must be so miserable having only a book deal and an agent...

;)

Dan

Quote: Badge @ July 1 2009, 11:55 PM BST

Congrats to all who got recorded and good to meet Swerytd and Mr Carpark for the first time (and Jane again). Fingers crossed everyone makes the final edit.

@The Producer - if yours was the glove one they recorded it was a killer and went down very well. If not someone has done a better glove voxpop I'm afraid!

@Griff - even though I didn't get lots of the references I thought your sketch went down well and I'd be surprised if it doesn't make the cut. Congrats either way, but I'm sure they won't cut Lewis doing a funny voice!

Thanks. Can't quit. Take one compulsive personality + one computer + an ostensible outlet = success or madness. Whichever shows up first. Unimpressed

Quote: swerytd @ July 2 2009, 8:32 AM BST

She makes them using our material sound a lot more regular than it actually is, btw...

Dan

Oh, ok. I thought you found a way to pass me The Runes Errr

Weird thing is, I sent much better sketches this week, with no feedback, yet last week I got "nearly there" feedback.

There's still time for them of course to email me. (delusional) :P

some of the sketches seemed a bit below par this week

Hmm..... Maybe mine didn't get on then.

Quote: Little Jersey Devil @ July 2 2009, 11:58 AM BST

Oh, ok. I thought you found a way to pass me The Runes Errr

Night of the Demon. Great film. "It's in the woods!"

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 2 2009, 12:10 PM BST

Weird thing is, I sent much better sketches this week, with no feedback, yet last week I got "nearly there" feedback.

There's still time for them of course to email me. (delusional) :P

Hmm..... Maybe mine didn't get on then.

Yeah but how many times does that happen?

You send a load to NR or TS and they use the ones you think are the weakest.

Would be interesting to know whether Newsbullet has been written by the same person every week in practice - if so, it might not be worth sending something in for that.