British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 48

Quote: Hennell @ June 29 2009, 12:27 PM BST

I've never really got the whole 'style' thing. I can tell the difference between say a Bremner Bird and Fortune sketch and Little Britain one, but radio sketches often sound all very similar. The topics may differ, but other then that I can't always see what changes much.

Mainly the type of humour. Clever, silly, surreal, etc

Kinda a general comment, but based on the fact they killed off Robin Hood! I know the legend changes from version to version, but most Robin Hood tales try not to kill off the guy.

Not sure it's likely to make it in, but it struck me as an amusing event.

They killed him off in the BBC show? He did die in the film version with Sean Connery as the old Robin.

I sent in a sketch this week. I'm going to try to send something in each week, even if it's just a line. Of words-not just a line.

I completely forgot about this yesterday so I've whipped up a quick one-liner and sent it off this morning. I really quite like it though for a rushed job.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 29 2009, 12:37 PM BST

They killed him off in the BBC show? He did die in the film version with Sean Connery as the old Robin.

And they killed off Michael Praed's Robin in the ...of Sherwood series.

Whipped off two vox pops and one correction. With the sketches, that's a full salvo. C'mon, get in the hole. Just one.

Here's to unnecessarily whipping up another frenzy of futile anticipation again.
:-)

Quote: biddyhell @ June 29 2009, 2:58 PM BST

Whipped off two vox pops and one correction. With the sketches, that's a full salvo. C'mon, get in the hole. Just one.

Here's to unnecessarily whipping up another frenzy of futile anticipation again.
:-)

Yeah, I feel like that. It feels like I'm in an X-Wing trying to do the trench attack in Star Wars. Only I'm not Luke. I'm that fat guy that screamed and blew up. Teary

Quote: Little Jersey Devil @ June 29 2009, 3:11 PM BST

Yeah, I feel like that. It's feels like I'm in an X-Wing trying to do the trench attack in Star Wars. Only I'm not Luke. I'm that fat guy that screamed and blew up. Teary

"They ... came... from ... behind." (BOOM)

:)

Quote: Little Jersey Devil @ June 29 2009, 3:11 PM BST

I'm that fat guy that screamed and blew up. Teary

His name was Porkins. Really.

He was a freighter pilot before he joined Red Squadron.

Hey has any one seen Wedge Antilles legs?

Quote: Hennell @ June 29 2009, 12:27 PM BST

I know the legend changes from version to version, but most Robin Hood tales try not to kill off the guy.

Robin Hood's Death is considered to be one of the oldest of the surviving Robin Hood ballads.

What is odd is that they left open the possibility of continuing without him. Though I suppose they did it for Taggart.

Nothing from me this week, so good luck to those of you in the game.

What, you're hoping they'll tell you to sod off?

Don't be such a wuss. MikeyJ could write a film trilogy in that time and have an email back from Spielberg by mid-afternoon.

If they're inundated with Michael Jackson jokes to the degree they'll just drop any of them, do you reckon MikeyJ is in potential trouble? They might assume his very name is a gag.

Blimey! I'm being ganged up on!

They might even think it's Jacko submitting sketches from beyond the grave.

Or he faked his own death, is sharing a bedsit with Elvis and has started a career in comedy writing because he doesn't want to get noticed. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 29 2009, 6:01 PM BST

Blimey! I'm being ganged up on!

They might even think it's Jacko submitting sketches from beyond the grave.

Or he faked his own death, is sharing a bedsit with Elvis and has started a career in comedy writing because he doesn't want to get noticed. :P

It was only two of us... and to be fair, none of them are digs!

Maybe you should even play up on the name thing. 'This sketch is by Mikey Jackson. No, not Michael...'.

Or maybe not.

As this week's show is going to consist entirely of Michael Jackson sketches, it makes more sense (and is kind of poetic) that it be entirely written by Michael Jackson...

Dan

It was only two of us... and to be fair, none of them are digs!

They were funny comments though. Very amusing.
They made me die. Or sorry, that's the other MJ. :P (ouch, bad taste methinks)

Maybe you should even play up on the name thing. 'This sketch is by Mikey Jackson. No, not Michael...'.

Or maybe not.

lol :)

Quote: swerytd @ June 29 2009, 7:40 PM BST

As this week's show is going to consist entirely of Michael Jackson sketches, it makes more sense (and is kind of poetic) that it be entirely written by Michael Jackson...

Dan

And it shall be called...
NewsJacko

:$ Whistling nnocently :D