British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 47

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 29 2009, 11:01 AM BST

Unless I think of something in the next 45 minutes I won't be submitting this week.

Haven't you got any generic sketches on file you could just tweak the names of?

(Although I admit, having got nowhere with my early submissions my appetite for sending new stuff is diminishing.)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 29 2009, 11:01 AM BST

Unless I think of something in the next 45 minutes I won't be submitting this week.

Don't be such a wuss. MikeyJ could write a film trilogy in that time and have an email back from Spielberg by mid-afternoon.

Quote: Griff @ June 29 2009, 11:12 AM BST

Don't be such a wuss. MikeyJ could write a film trilogy in that time and have an email back from Spielberg by mid-afternoon.

Laughing out loud

:)

Nothing suitable, no....

Just sent some one liners this week.

Quote: bigfella @ June 29 2009, 11:28 AM BST

Just sent some one liners this week.

To be fair, you've probably had other things on your mind than writing light-hearted topical sketches.

pssh 45 minutes is more then enough time to submit something. You just need to have that flash of inspiration first...

I wrote a sketch about Robin Hood, in case they want some stuff that isn't Micheal Jackson, and some Jackson themed vox pops and a Jackson 'related sketch' in case they wanted stuff that is.

I feel happy. My stuff was funny at least, and I'm covered should everyone send in Jacko stuff, or (as it seems) if no-one does...

Quote: Hennell @ June 29 2009, 11:36 AM BST

pssh 45 minutes is more then enough time to submit something. You just need to have that flash of inspiration first...

I wrote a sketch about Robin Hood, in case they want some stuff that isn't Micheal Jackson, and some Jackson themed vox pops and a Jackson 'related sketch' in case they wanted stuff that is.

I feel happy. My stuff was funny at least, and I'm covered should everyone send in Jacko stuff, or (as it seems) if no-one does...

I don't seem to have found the style of the sketches of the show yet.

What's the news on Robin Hood then, or just a general comment on current TV?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 29 2009, 11:39 AM BST

I don't seem to have found the style of the sketches of the show yet.

I'm not sure they've found their style yet. One of the problems with the show is that it doesn't have a distinct character yet.

It does feel a bit hit and miss on what to submit.

Quote: Griff @ June 29 2009, 11:12 AM BST

You know, as a sudden thought -

If they're inundated with Michael Jackson jokes to the degree they'll just drop any of them, do you reckon MikeyJ is in potential trouble? They might assume his very name is a gag.

Quote: Antrax @ June 29 2009, 11:45 AM BST

If they're inundated with Michael Jackson jokes to the degree they'll just drop any of them, do you reckon MikeyJ is in potential trouble? They might assume his very name is a gag.

You're saying Mikey J's real! :O

Would have to agree with Dolly & Chip about the identity, style and character.

I have sent some stuff that fitted with what's been broadcast so far and other stuff that would be out of place but in keeping with the original brief.

I do remember it was about show 3 when Tilt found its voice though, so with 4 more to go the style may become more obvious.

I'd say if you're not sure about their style. Go for short, funny, current/topical but not main stories if it's good they'll edit it into shape.

I've never really got the whole 'style' thing. I can tell the difference between say a Bremner Bird and Fortune sketch and Little Britain one, but radio sketches often sound all very similar. The topics may differ, but other then that I can't always see what changes much.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 29 2009, 11:39 AM BST

What's the news on Robin Hood then, or just a general comment on current TV?

Kinda a general comment, but based on the fact they killed off Robin Hood! I know the legend changes from version to version, but most Robin Hood tales try not to kill off the guy.

Not sure it's likely to make it in, but it struck me as an amusing event.