British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 46

Thanks Kevin!

I know there's been a bit of talk about formatting on here but I can't see a situation where they receive a genius script and say "nah" because it isn't spaced at x or indented at y. If it looks like a script they'll read it and if it's good they might use it. If they use it they might ask you to format better next time (e.g. scriptsmart at BBC writersroom website).

Quote: Mark @ June 26 2009, 3:58 PM BST

Tip: Go for the less well covered news stories. If you submit a Jacko sketch you're probably going to be up against 1000s of others this week, but other topics are likely to be less well contested.

Again, couldn't help myself either but went for a kind of anti-jacko-joke-joke. Hope that will swing it in terms of angle. I'm really fired up at the moment after two dry weeks. Sent off my three, but I really want to send some more. It's probably not a good idea to break the submission rules is it?

Plus I've been really naive: been using final draft and not realising the difference between taped sitcom and cue style format. Why FD can't put a template on, I don't know. Can't get any version of script smart to work on my computer, so have had to format manually which I find really irritating. Also, didn't notice the advice about avoiding pdfs which I've sent for the last two weeks. A learning curve so steep I need a grappling hook...

Quote: biddyhell @ June 27 2009, 1:00 AM BST

It's probably not a good idea to break the submission rules is it?

No.

Just gave this another listen. I liked the WW1 panel game, but I am still not sure about the Newsbullets bit. Anyone who can get the hang of these regular features is in with a good chance of getting something in the show. The Stig sketch seemed mainly to be an opportunity for the cast to demonstrate their skill at impressions, so that is something else to consider.

All the BSG contributions were of course topnotch.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 26 2009, 4:29 PM BST

I've mentioned Michael Jackson in a sketch I've written, but indirectly. In the sketch I've made, it was Mark Thompson and the BBC who bumped him off so that an ever bigger story would be in the papers than their expenses scandal.

It's not looking good for us - we've got a Gordon Brown/Fonzie/Michael Jackson gag we had high hopes for, but I'm beginning to think it's going to get lost in a sea of similar sketches.

Quote: Lbug @ June 27 2009, 10:40 PM BST

It's not looking good for us - we've got a Gordon Brown/Fonzie/Michael Jackson gag we had high hopes for, but I'm beginning to think it's going to get lost in a sea of similar sketches.

Here's hoping it gets in. I'd love to hear how Fonzie fits into that triumvirate.

Hey, anymore "nearly-but-we-like-yous" like what Mikey had? Anybody?

I assume they'll start reading through the submissions tomorrow. (Monday)

Hopefully I won't get a "nearly there and so bloody close, you can feel my breath on your skin" type email this time.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 29 2009, 12:34 AM BST

I assume they'll start reading through the submissions tomorrow. (Monday)

Hopefully I won't get a "nearly there and so bloody close, you can feel my breath on your skin" type email this time.

What, you're hoping they'll tell you to sod off?

Quote: biddyhell @ June 28 2009, 9:35 PM BST

Hey, anymore "nearly-but-we-like-yous" like what Mikey had? Anybody?

Not for me, but then I haven't sent anything, so it would have come as something of a surprise.

I've sent two sketches this week, but I think my one-liners are probably better.

I wrote some nice Jacko stuff but decided against sending it because they'll probably be deluged with the stuff.

Unless I think of something in the next 45 minutes I won't be submitting this week.