British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 40

Just heard back – they loved everything I sent them and are demanding more (offering to pay me in advance). I also believe Welsh people can't swim because their bones are too heavy.

Correction: I lied - I have not heard back yet.

Are people sending them in as PDFs or Word Docs? I've been using PDFs, but I'm thinking now they probably want a format they can rework.

I've been sending mine as Excel spreadsheets. The Director General of the BBC emailed me straight back to compliment me on my use of macros.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ June 24 2009, 5:21 PM BST

Are people sending them in as PDFs or Word Docs? I've been using PDFs, but I'm thinking now they probably want a format they can rework.

I'm sending mine as PDFs mainly because I don't know the computers the BBC use. If I send a Word Doc they might not be able to work with it if they use Macs.

Just to reassure everyone, they have no problem reading Word documents.

Quote: Griff @ June 24 2009, 5:38 PM BST

Before a massive panic starts, let me just reassure everyone that yes, the BBC can read Microsoft Word documents.

Can they? Oh well that's alright then. Sorry if I caused a fuss.

Given that the BBC's Script Smart is a Word template, I've always felt pretty safe sending stuff in that format.

Unlucky to anyone who sent a cracking F1 split sketch or gag.

Quote: Badge @ June 24 2009, 7:52 PM BST

I did send in an F1 gag, but luckily it was more about Max Mosley rather than the split.

Quote: Badge @ June 24 2009, 7:52 PM BST

:(
Bastards!

On the positive side. I could use that as the reason I didn't get in. :)

Any news from the recording?

Hi, Well I'm new to all this and I'm thinking what does PDF mean!? Format? What format? So you can be sure I will provide no extra competition whatsoever, as it looks like my entries will have screamed 'TOTAL AMATEUR' and been instantly and mercilessly deleted. :$

Quote: Astrid @ June 25 2009, 9:35 AM BST

Hi, Well I'm new to all this and I'm thinking what does PDF mean!? Format? What format? So you can be sure I will provide no extra competition whatsoever, as it looks like my entries will have screamed 'TOTAL AMATEUR' and been instantly and mercilessly deleted. :$

Just check on the BBC Writersroom website, they have examples of different script formats on there if you're not sure.

Thank you.