British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 39

Quote: biddyhell @ June 23 2009, 3:27 PM BST

This means, doesn't it, that if we haven't had an e-mail relatively soon after submitting, that they are not at all interested. I mean, why send out a "nearly but not quite" and not send out a "hey, we're holding on to this for the recording you sexy, as-yet-undiscovered comedy genius"

Glum. :(

More likely they send out the same nearly but not quite email when they don't actually use the sketch they held onto.

I've been re-writing my sketches in to newspaper format and bunging them on theSpoof.com too. Might aswell do something with all these rejects!

I had a nice email saying they liked my sketch, and what bits they liked, but that they probably wouldn't be using it. Doh! *sad face*

This means, doesn't it, that if we haven't had an e-mail relatively soon after submitting, that they are not at all interested. I mean, why send out a "nearly but not quite" and not send out a "hey, we're holding on to this for the recording you sexy, as-yet-undiscovered comedy genius"

That certainly wasn't my experience. They only emailed me the day after the recording to say they'd recorded a vox pop of mine. Still didn't make the show sadly.

Maybe they'll send out "hey, we want to use yor sketch, but are holding out on telling you until we've recorded it, in which case we will email you then" type of email to all successful people.

Oh, I forgot to say.
The email I received started with the line "thank you for the sketches, and thank you more for sending in the correct format."

Now, I always send in the right format, so this must mean they get a LOT of badly formatted rubbish, (like stage play format lol) which can only make things better for us more pro peeps.

I don't think that's the case. They're incredibly busy and there's literally no benefit (to them) in sending out a "we may use yours but not sure yet because still going through stuff" e-mail and then having to e-mail you again when they do use it...or annoy you by cutting at the last minute. For Tilt, which is the closest in terms of deadlines etc, I only got told ahead of broadcast day when it was either "close but no cigar" or a request for a rewrite.

There's probably even less chance of a "we may use this" e-mail if you were part of the Sunday/Monday deluge when they'll too busy reading/editing/putting together the show

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 23 2009, 5:01 PM BST

Oh, I forgot to say.
The email I received started with the line "thank you for the sketches, and thank you more for sending in the correct format."

Now, I always send in the right format, so this must mean they get a LOT of badly formatted rubbish, (like stage play format lol) which can only make things better for us more pro peeps.

Nowhere on the Newsjack page does it specify what format they want it in.

I'm sticking to ScriptSmart Radio Template, which worked for three other BBC Radio sketch shows, but I'm only assuming this is 'the correct format'! The 'first-timers' having a go might not be aware of any formatting at all.

Maybe they should state explicitly what format it is, if they want it in a specific layout!

Dan

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 23 2009, 5:01 PM BST

Does this just mean they liked your formatting more than your sketches? :)

Quote: swerytd @ June 23 2009, 6:51 PM BST

Nowhere on the Newsjack page does it specify what format they want it in.

I'm sticking to ScriptSmart Radio Template, which worked for three other BBC Radio sketch shows.

But them were the pre-Dan-ban days, weren't they?

Ha! My formatting was a lot funnier than my sketches. :P

Seriously though, (what? The above wasn't serious???) yes, I use the ScriptSmart Radio Template too, so I guess we're doing it right.

I suppose the format was mentioned because she'd received loads of sketches prior to mine in stage format or something. Or quite simply typed out in some kind of crazy fashion.

Wasn't that kind of thing mentioned a while back by a RFTP chap, where they'd even received some with Act 1 Scene 1 on them?

(+++ EDIT +++ Spelling errors!)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 24 2009, 8:30 AM BST

I suppose the format was mentioned because she'd received loads of sketches prior to mine in stage format or something. Or quite simply typed out in some kind of crazy fashion.

I sent mine in crayon, written on the back of old rejection slips.

Quote: Badge @ June 24 2009, 1:09 AM BST

But them were the pre-Dan-ban days, weren't they?

Will people *stop* reminding me about that? Just let me send my stuff in total ignorance...

Dan

I've got no idea if I'm using the right format or not, I just know it looks quite a lot like their recording scripts but without cue numbers.

I think they just mean written for radio in a script form. I imagine lots of people are just sending in stuff written like prose and/or for TV.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 24 2009, 9:39 AM BST

I think they just mean written for radio in a script form. I imagine lots of people are just sending in stuff written like prose and/or for TV.

I hope so. They're essentially weeding themselves out.

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2009, 10:24 AM BST

I hope so. They're essentially weeding themselves out.

More people should do that.

Apparently this week they're looking for lots of sketches which glorify paedophilia and deny the holocaust.

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 24 2009, 11:10 AM BST

More people should do that.

Apparently this week they're looking for lots of sketches which glorify paedophilia and deny the holocaust.

:)

And they love really sweary sketches that slander well known celebrities who like to sue.