British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 38

Has anybody sent in viewers e-mails or celebrity diary? They didn't seem to make it from the list of regular features?

It might be a good idea to try your luck in this probably overlooked niche, biddyhell.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 23 2009, 12:14 AM BST

It might be a good idea to try your luck in this probably overlooked niche, biddyhell.

Ooh, is that the secret recipe Mikey? Or send stuff on Saturday rather than 11.58am on Monday?

Ha, no there's no secret recipe really.
My 3 sketches were all different so they weren't following any real pattern.
I was just lucky that I'd tickled the producer.
But I didn't tickle her enough to get in.
Her feedback, however, told me exactly which bits worked and which bits didn't. That's whgat I meant by the recipe.

Regarding the niche, I just figured that most people will be writing news-related sketches, so the viewers emails idea might have been overlooked.

And sending stuff earlier just means it'll be read earlier. No real difference.

Quote: biddyhell @ June 22 2009, 11:24 AM BST

Has anybody sent in viewers e-mails or celebrity diary? They didn't seem to make it from the list of regular features?

I sent in a 'Celebrity Diary'. It was the 'Celebrity Diary' of Pig Flu. It was funny till the next morning, when that Scottish lady unfortunately became the first UK person to die from it. Then, my sketch immediately became bad taste...

Dan

I didn't even get an email from them.

Must try harder. Oh well, at least with this week's batch they can't fail to be impressed by one of my gags, even if they don't like the sketch it's in.

One of my sketches had one gag they absolutely loved, but said they couldn't warrant broadcasting the whole sketch just for that, as the first bit of the sketch was a bit gag light.
So I'll shove the gag into a better sketch. :)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 23 2009, 12:14 AM BST

The tricky thing is knowing whether these are still in theory "regular features" or have been officially buried by the producer after not being used so far.

I'm also unclear about whether they're still interested in general zeitgeisty sketches (outside of the regular features slots) or whether they're now almost exclusively focused on up-to-date news.

There were a couple of zeitgeisty ones in ep 1. If you've got a good one and can slip in a more topical reference I think that's probably OK.

The advertising one was zeitgeisty and didn't seem relevant to any particular news story. In fact it seemed fairly generic and could have popped up on any number of other Radio4/BBC7 shows.

The way I read the inclusion of the ad was that it could be slotted in without a link needing to be written and adding dead weight around the sketch. It's the kind of thing you expect to hear in the middle of a radio show even though there aren't any ads on the BBC.

I had a Reality-TV based sketch to send, but I held it back because I'm guessing they're only after stuff that fits the news or magazine programme format.

Sent in some vox pops about the new speaker today... I wonder how many people are chasing the same rainbow? I'm satisfied with these, so I'll be disappointed if I score another blank.

Will post all rejects again unless someone objects.

Post them in Critique, rather than on this thread. (You may well have done that last time).

Quote: Griff @ June 23 2009, 2:18 PM BST

Post them in Critique, rather than on this thread. (You may well have done that last time).

You're the boss. I thought they'd be of interest to people, but if they're just in the way I'll leave it.

I'm sure they are of interest to people, but ideally in Critique please. Mark them Newsjack in the sketch title to bring them to people's attention. Also then post a one-liner in this thread with a link to where you've put them in Critique.

(This thread's really about general discussion of submitting to the show: if we have huge numbers of rejected sketches posted it will become very difficult to pick out the writers discussion stuff.)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 22 2009, 7:28 PM BST

Yes, Dolly. I sent my three in on Saturday, with the feedback email arriving in my inbox this morning.

This means, doesn't it, that if we haven't had an e-mail relatively soon after submitting, that they are not at all interested. I mean, why send out a "nearly but not quite" and not send out a "hey, we're holding on to this for the recording you sexy, as-yet-undiscovered comedy genius"

Glum. :(

Critique the big, stinking, Daily Mail annoying recycling bin of BCG.