British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 31

I'm just back from the recording - thanks Dan. :)

If anyone's interested I can tell you the sketches I remember or you can wait and be pleasantly (or not) surprised tomorrow.

Hotmail must be down as they didn't use what I sent them. Pleased

Jx

ps They said the writers names will be on the website (not sure when though).

AAAAAAACCKK! Tension is killing me....

Jane, a question...

When recording it, do they just do the half hour?

Or do they do more, then edit it (chucking out sketches that didn't get laughs) before the broadcast?

Mikey,
I can't speak for tonight cos I wasn't there, but they recorded a lot "over" for the pilot. Some sketches they recorded didn't make it to broadcast; some made it but were cut down in the edit. I'd be very surprised if they didn't do something similar for the series proper, though they might not overrecord as much (if only because it gives them more editing to do afterwards in a short time).

DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!

Yes Badge it was the same format tonight.

I think it's going to be hard to get a 'sketch' in because they don't use that many, considering the hundreds we've sent in. (Or maybe they do but when you're sitting there hoping yours might be used, it doesn't seem that way). There were lots of other bits going on but not everything on the Writers Brief eg no diary or undercover this week.

I'd guess they recorded about 14 vox pops - I wonder how many they'll use, as a couple made no sense - but mostly they were good. There was one that if it's not Sooty's it should have been. :)

Also one of the sketches was a repeat of one they recorded at the pilot but obviously needed work (the 'digestion' one) so that's less room for a new one!

There was an extra performer this time plus the four we saw at the pilot.

If there was an overall theme it was the BNP getting seats but other things were included too.

As is often the way the biggest laughs sometimes came for other reasons.
Miles got the giggles half way through and then the other guy, Lewis did too a bit later - they didn't have time, or chose not to retake part of it so I'll be interested to see how the sketch with Prince Charles sounds!

Miles was doing a Vox Pop where he says something like 'you the man' and he did a great version we all loved as i'ts so not him, and then the producer asked him to do it again in a BBC voice - and we all went 'nahh'. So I hope they use the first.

Hopefully I've not given away too much. I can't see the writers' names on the site yet. Fingers crossed one or more of you are there.

I'll try to let you know which ones didn't make it I can remember.

Enjoy the show.

Jx

I dread to ask which one?

Quote: sootyj @ June 18 2009, 8:10 AM BST

I dread to ask which one?

:) I've PM'd you so I don't spoil it for anyone else.

Made me smile and I thought if you hadn't written it you'd approve!

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ June 17 2009, 10:06 PM BST

If anyone's interested I can tell you the sketches I remember or you can wait and be pleasantly (or not) surprised tomorrow.

I hate listening to shows hoping my stuffs on. Anything about Iran's tallest man or Paris being interviewed by Dermot O'Leary?

sorry SP - I feel like the bearer of bad news all round here!

Quote: Jane P @ June 18 2009, 9:20 AM BST

sorry SP - I feel like the bearer of bad news all round here!

Doh! Oops, sorry!

Given the BNP theme I doubt my sketches were used.

But here's my turn to quiz Jane - anything about IVF blunders, Madonna's new daughter or Jacko's kids, Ms P?

Did they do the "Corrections" section? If not, with the lack of sketches and me not writing anything on Prince Charles or BNP, my chances are looking slim...

Shudder, tremble...

Dare I hope? I wrote a sketch and some voxpops on BNP. Could it be? The mentioning of not many sketches doesn't bode well.

God willing.

Quote: Jane P @ June 18 2009, 7:27 AM BST

If there was an overall theme it was the BNP
Jx

Well, I wrote one line about Nick Griffin, so I would say it sounds like it definitely got in. Definitely.

Sorry Dolly - nothing like that.

Yes to corrections - but far more vox pops.

And here's hoping Matthew!