British Comedy Guide

Big Fella's Book - and getting an agent. Page 7

Quote: bigfella @ June 4 2009, 4:30 PM BST

6 foot 5 ish.

I reckon you want to get measured - I'm 6'3" and I don't have to duck to get through doors!

Blimey mate, you is doing good :)

Just read this entire thread. Well done Bigfella, keep it up mate.
I was over 19 stone at school, mostly due to smoking lots of dope. Once I changed drugs, the weight just fell off. Who says heroin is bad. ;)

Has anyone on here ever tried the Atkins Diet? If so, is it really as good as people say it is?

Quote: catskillz @ June 4 2009, 6:23 PM BST

Has anyone on here ever tried the Atkins Diet? If so, is it really as good as people say it is?

There is serious concern about long-term health.
"Dr Lyn Steffen and Ms Jennifer Nettleton, from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health in Minneapolis, said: "Low carbohydrate diets for weight management are far from healthy, given their association with ketosis, constipation or diarrhoea, halitosis, headache, and general fatigue to name a few side-effects."

"These diets also increase the protein load to the kidneys and alter the acid balance in the body, which can result in loss of minerals from bone stores, thus compromising bone integrity."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4814314.stm

However, I think it's worth taking on board the principle of this diet, that is, if you eat stuff that takes a long time to digest, you won't get hungry so quickly.

I tried it and lost 4 pounds the first week but I think it's dangerous, too much fats actually, I only did it for the one week, it was murder trying to down all that bacon/sausage and stuff. You are better off with fruit/veg/lean meat

Well done Bigfella,

10 stone in 13 weeks is a fantastic achievement. Keep it going!

'Nothing tastes as good as slim feels'

is the moto I go for!

:)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 4 2009, 7:10 PM BST

I tried it and lost 4 pounds the first week but I think it's dangerous, too much fats actually, I only did it for the one week, it was murder trying to down all that bacon/sausage and stuff. You are better off with fruit/veg/lean meat

Can you have fruit?

Quote: bigfella @ March 21 2009, 1:04 PM BST

Okay not strictly comedy, but with guys on this site having books published I thought I would ask the question.

The first thing I need to do is give you the background – this is not that easy for me because behind a name on a forum you can be anyone, and I also know that many people in today's society really don't like fat people but here it goes.
I'm not called big fella on this site for no reason, until very recently I weighed 43 stone ( yes, you did read that right) I am also 6 foot 6. At the start of this month I went into hospital and had a gastric bypass operation, a operation that could have easily killed me. Now my stomach is no bigger than an egg – yesterday I ate half a muller light yogurt, a banana, a small piece of smoked haddock, one new potato and a teaspoon of peas! Hopefully with the operation I will lose around 25 stone.

I am also being filmed for an hour long documentary on the discovery channel to be shown in October. The interesting side to my story is that even though I weighed such a stupid amount of weight I had no medical problems at all, blood pressure is normal etc and I ran my own business, hence didn't lie in bed all day taking benefits from the state. Until being about 21 I was very fit and played American Football to quite a high level, my GP thinks this is why I never had any problems with my health. Of course I had numerous mobility issues and people always stared whenever I went out. My family's life has really been on hold for the past three years or so.

The principle of the book is to chart my past and how I got myself into this stupid position and then my experiences of the operation and finally my recovery and getting back to fitness and a normal life. I am making good progress with the first half of the book, but of course the final section will have to be written as I lose the weight ( it should take around a year).

So the question how best to go about this book published? Do I contact publishers or agents or both. Do I do it now or when the whole book is finished?
Thanks for your help.

And I thought my weight loss was impressive! Wow! I feel for you, I really do! It's not an easy thing to do. It's a total life change. Don't do what I did and when you are first able to see toes, jump for joy in the doorway ;). Ouch.

To be honest, I don't have any real answers for you but have you considered raising your profile slightly with a blog? There seems to be a market at the moment for bloggers to write books. A lot of the weight loss stories out there are from women but there is a growing amount of books about male weight loss. Have a look on the net. Some e-zines will publish stories writen by readers. It's very hit and miss if you get published on site and you don't usually get paid but the good news is they keep it on the site forever and it's something to include in a portfolio. :) Good luck hun!

Quote: catskillz @ June 4 2009, 8:57 PM BST

Can you have fruit?

I think many fruits are considered as carbs and therefore forbidden or restricted - that's how silly this diet is.

Seriously, just cut down portions size, limit the amount of treat foods eaten and be active every day. That's a long term plan that will work and is realistic.

Was it you who cut out chocolate, Ruby?
Are you back on it yet?

Back on it? I'm freaking rolling in the stuff.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 5 2009, 6:50 PM BST

I think many fruits are considered as carbs and therefore forbidden or restricted - that's how silly this diet is.

Seriously, just cut down portions size, limit the amount of treat foods eaten and be active every day. That's a long term plan that will work and is realistic.

Diets don't work. It was only when I stopped dieting I lost all my weight and kept it off. Pleased

It's great - if you want bad breathe, the shits, bad skin, and a heart attack. Smarmy

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ June 5 2009, 8:09 PM BST

It's great - if you want bad breathe, the shits, bad skin, and a heart attack. Smarmy

Thats why I'm such a hit with the chicks.

Well done BigFella
Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the support everyone