British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 812

*shrugs*

It's just a compressed music file, enabling you to get more tracks on the same amount of space.

An iPod plays these files, as well as others (I'd imagine).

If you're a fan of music and you like to listen to it a lot at home or on the move. Mp3's are excellent. Some people can be snobbish about the quality, but unless you're really picky, I doubt very much you'd even notice.

You can store hundreds/thousands/and more tracks(songs) on most mp3 players. And most of them use drag&drop. Which involves dragging the file from one folder and dropping it into another. Others use their own applications and iPod uses iTunes, which is OK, but you have to pay for most of it ;) *cough*

Btw, Mp3's can be "ripped" from your CD's and saved onto your computer's hard drive, from there you'll transfer them to your mp3 player. Or you can download, there are many legal and many more not-so-legal download sites and applications.

Like I said, if you're into music it's well worth it. If you're not there's always podcasts, recorded radio shows, and some even play video files and display pictures.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 2 2009, 2:51 PM BST

It's just a compressed music file, enabling you to get more tracks on the same amount of space.

An iPod plays these files, as well as others (I'd imagine).

Blah blah blah, can I put my CD's on there?

Yeeees.

Darren, how old are you roughly? :P

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ June 2 2009, 3:07 PM BST

Quote: Leevil @ June 2 2009, 3:02 PM BST

Btw, Mp3's can be "ripped" from your CD's and saved onto your computer's hard drive, from there you'll transfer them to your mp3 player.

You can store hundreds/thousands/and more tracks(songs) on most mp3 players. And most of them use drag&drop. Which involves dragging the file from one folder and dropping it into another.

Quote: PhQnix @ June 2 2009, 3:11 PM BST

Yeeees.

Darren, how old are you roughly? :P

My age is irrelevent, I just haven't kept up with music technology. What makes MP3 better than a CD?

You can fit about 18 songs on CD, whereas if they were converted into mp3's, you could probably fit about 200 (I think?)

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ June 2 2009, 3:07 PM BST

How rude! :P

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ June 2 2009, 3:17 PM BST

My age is irrelevent, I just haven't kept up with music technology. What makes MP3 better than a CD?

Less space. Say, your standard small MP3 player can hold around 1000 songs, that's roughly equivalent to carrying around 80 odd albums with you at all times in your pocket.

Quote: PhQnix @ June 2 2009, 3:48 PM BST

Less space. Say, your standard small MP3 player can hold around 1000 songs, that's roughly equivalent to carrying around 80 odd albums with you at all times in your pocket.

Rightio, so where do I pick one of these things up? Is it hard to get my music on there and stuff?

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ June 2 2009, 3:53 PM BST

Rightio, so where do I pick one of these things up? Is it hard to get my music on there and stuff?

Depends on how much your willing to lay out on one of them. I don't really know the market that well, but I'm sure someone on here will. You can get a player from a variety of places though, eletronics stores, larger supermarkets, some department stores or, of course, the internet.

Getting your music on there will be relatively simple, but time consuming. You'll have to rip your CDs onto your computer using software (again I don't know much about different pieces of software, hopefully someone else will) and then transfer it to your new MP3 player via cable. Then plug your headphones in and enjoy. :D

And a lot of phones have MP3's built in. Mine does. Although I always tend to listen to Radio 4 on it.

Wow technology has evolved hasn't it, I thought it peaked with the kettle personally but, hey ho.

The what?

Yes! I got the tinder lit :D