British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 30

Another good ElvenQuest last night. Although I disliked it in the early days, it really has developed into a very strong show. Looking forward to the series final next week, and I hope it gets a second series.

I've finally got around to listening to Flight of the Conchords which is very good. Excellent, really dry comedy which is entirely the sort I like. Full marks. On to the TV show...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ May 29 2009, 11:54 AM BST

I've finally got around to listening to Flight of the Conchords which is very good. Excellent, really dry comedy which is entirely the sort I like. Full marks. On to the TV show...

Weirdly, I couldn't get into the radio show at all, yet love the TV show.

Quote: chipolata @ May 29 2009, 4:02 PM BST

Weirdly, I couldn't get into the radio show at all, yet love the TV show.

I bought the radio show on iTunes, but only after seeing the TV show.
I was surprised about the number of British comics making appearances such as Jimmy Carr & Andy Parsons, not to mention Neil Finn from Crowded House.

I think I may have found a convoluted way of getting 'listen again' programmes onto my iPod.
So I will have my first listen to Museum of Curiosity, Down the line & I want to listen to the Clement Freud tribute.

Has anyone listened to the sitcoms Hut 33 or Self Storage?
And are they worth a try?

Hut 33 is great. Self Storage is good but harder to get in to. The second series is much more sitccmmy than the first imo.

Dan

Hut 33 is a good show. Typically Radio 4, but that's not always a bad thing. Self Storage is okay, but no great shakes in my ears.

Quote: chipolata @ June 1 2009, 10:23 AM BST

Typically Radio 4

This, btw, hits the nail on the head exactly. It's the most stereotypically Radio 4 show it's possible to be. As chip says though, is a good thing in this case :)

Dan

I thought that Newfangle was good. It is an interesting idea and I look forward to tomorrow's episode.

Another nice episode of TMOC as well. Some really interesting donations this week, especially Jon Richardson's.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 1 2009, 8:02 PM BST

Another nice episode of TMOC as well. Some really interesting donations this week, especially Jon Richardson's.

He's growing on me as a comic. Didn't like him at first, but he's got a distinctive "voice" in the Michael Jacob sense of the word. As for TOMC, I was interested to hear that Monthy Python and and Holy Grail was originally intended to end with them finding it at the Grail Counter in Harrods.

I missed Newfangle but it sounds quite original so I'll definitely seek it out.

Quote: chipolata @ June 2 2009, 10:05 AM BST

He's growing on me as a comic. Didn't like him at first, but he's got a distinctive "voice" in the Michael Jacob sense of the word.

Me too. He did have a low point being involved with Act Your Age, but no-one has a perfect career.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 2 2009, 10:16 AM BST

Me too. He did have a low point being involved with Act Your Age, but no-one has a perfect career.

:)

Hang on, I quite liked that show!!

Quote: chipolata @ June 2 2009, 10:18 AM BST

:)

Hang on, I quite liked that show!!

Well, each to their own.

Bit disappointed with the end of ElvenQuest. Seemed a bit muddled, and didn't go out on quite the high I hoped it would.

True. I think they were just trying to find a way to get a second series with that ending.

It was a bit of a rushed ending on the end of ElvenQuest wasn't it! I had to listen to it again on iPlayer to understand what was going on. I'd certainly welcome a second series though - it was fun.

I've turned off Spread A Little Happiness - that's doing nothing for me, but Newfangle is showing a lot of promise. I heard a trailer for Electric Ink the other day - that sounds good too.