British Comedy Guide

Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 27

Strange thing happened today. I was down in the HMV in Stockton High Street, and they were selling the DVD of the series already, before the series has finished!

I have now seen the final episode (as well as some extra bits) and it has a great ending. I won't spoil it by telling you what it is though.

That is a bit odd.

Quote: zooo @ May 25 2009, 3:38 PM BST

That is a bit odd.

I know it is - but still it's a nice surprise.

Quote: Aaron @ May 23 2009, 12:20 AM BST

It's not a version of another sitcom. It's a version of a book which has been made into a sitcom in the past too. You're comparing them too directly. With each episode it becomes clearer and clearer (IMO) that it's the idea of the middle-management, middle-England, middle-class, mid-life crisis that is being used here, not that it's an adaptation of an earlier show.

It's still comparable, just as a new version of Pride & Prejudice or Bridehead Revisited will be compared to earlier 'definitive' versions.

If it's just a valid, stand alone take of a comic novel and nothing to do with the earlier version, why use the same theme tune?

Because it's cheap and they're lazy.

Really interesting that they've brought the DVD release forward a week. Not sure if that's a good or a bad sign.

(Bravo to Ian for having the depth-of-wallet to pay HMV prices.)

I'd have thought that was just some HMV staff making a cock up surely?

No, it probably wouldn't have arrived until the middle of the week. - And besides, I've checked online and it is now out.

I found the scene with Nicola and Monty in episode 4 to be too similar to the scene in MBB (in the episode 'Playing Away') where Tony and Dorothy are alone together on the sofa whilst Gary (Martin Clunes) is away.

Quote: Aaron @ May 25 2009, 9:32 PM BST

No, it probably wouldn't have arrived until the middle of the week. - And besides, I've checked online and it is now out.

Oh well, if it is out now, that would explain it.

Very strange indeed.

The show picked up a bit in the ratings last week with almost bang on 4m viewers. I hope that those numbers (along with those watching on Saturday) will be enough for the BBC to commission a second series but it can't be cheap to make so it must be on a knife edge.

Quote: johnny smith @ May 25 2009, 9:57 PM BST

I found the scene with Nicola and Monty in episode 4 to be too similar to the scene in MBB (in the episode 'Playing Away') where Tony and Dorothy are alone together on the sofa whilst Gary (Martin Clunes) is away.

But it was in the original before MBB.

Was it, or are you talking about the scene with Elizabeth Perrin and CJ on the sofa because that's different?

Wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending. Bit of weirdness there with no real conclusion as to what he'd do, and was hoping that Jasmine would go and see if he was ok when he was taken out of the presentation. Still, powerful stuff. Excellent series, really hope that a second is commissioned.

I enjoyed the series overall, but this episode did nothing for me. Reggie's speech/rant just left me cold.

Well that was.........pointless.