British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 21

Yes, I heard him before acting as the narrator for The Penny Dreadfuls. He must be the poshest-sounding comedian on the circuit.

Quote: Griff @ May 11 2009, 11:14 PM BST

After today's Recorded For Training Purposes workshop I can exclusively reveal the new show's title will be Newsjack and is going to star Archie the Inventor.

*ahem*

Quote: Griff @ May 14 2009, 2:43 PM BST

*ahem*

He's not 'Archie the Inventor' - that could be any one (called Archie who invents)!!!! That means nothing to us Balamory viewers (Scotland's secondest best soap after High Road), he's Archie from the pink castle! :)

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 14 2009, 1:23 PM BST

I think she was only talking about Radio 4. She said that their target 'replenishment audience' (i.e. the ones they are targetting to replace their core audience who are dying off) is 30-54. i.e. their core audience are 54+.

I guess the other stations probably have different demographics but I would also guess that the comedy audience on Radio 4 might not represent the audience for the rest of their shows. Certainly when you go to recordings, most people there seem to be in their 30s.

I listen to their comedy but never anything else on Radio 4, so that's probably correct.

Dan

Miles was one of the performers/script editors at the first of the recent Recorded For Training Purposes writers' workshop, and a very nice bloke he was too. He was also in a lot of sketches in the Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle.

So will Newsjack contact the writers they liked to submit stuff, or will there be a writersroom announcement? Anyone been given this info yet?

At the workshop, Ed said we'd get emailed but they also said it was completely open door so presumably it will be up in the Writers Room and the email is just a reminder so we don't miss it.

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 19 2009, 5:13 PM BST

At the workshop, Ed said we'd get emailed but they also said it was completely open door so presumably it will be up in the Writers Room and the email is just a reminder so we don't miss it.

Cheers for that!
;)

Anyone going to the pilot recording on 31st May? Got my ticket through tonight.

Same here.
Looking forward to it.

According to the online Radio Times, Newsjack begins on 4th June at 23.00.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 22 2009, 8:14 AM BST

According to the online Radio Times, Newsjack begins on 4th June at 23.00.

Yep that's when the edit goes out, the recording is done on the 31st. So I guess they'll be asking for submissions soon?

The pilot episode is all commissioned stuff. It's the later episodes that will be open to non-comm writers.

It's mentioned in this weeks Radio 7 newsletter:

"and finally
I have some good news for those of you who enjoy topical comedy. We have
commissioned a new sketch show which will be taking a fun look - and a few swipes -
at the latest news, views and issues of the day. It's a six-part series, and the
title is Newsjack.

The host will be Miles Jupp, who will be joined by an excellent line-up of voices
provided by Jess Robinson (Dead Ringers, Headcases) Andi Osho (The Andi O-Show,
Tonightly) and Lewis McLeod (Bremner, Bird and Fortune, The Secret World).

The producer is Tilusha Ghelani.

In the tradition of the long running Radio 4 comedy series, Weekending, we are
encouraging new writers to submit sketches for Newsjack.

For any budding writers out there, we will be adding further information on our
website at a later date.

The pilot episode of Newsjack will be broadcast on Thursday 4th June, and if you'd
like to come along to any of the recordings (the show is recorded on Wednesday
evenings at the Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, London) you can also apply for
tickets via the BBC tickets website: http://shows.external.bbc.co.uk/help/shows/newsjack

Dan

Good work!