British Comedy Guide

What are you listening to now? Page 594

Quote: Seefacts @ May 17 2009, 12:02 PM BST

Do you like early 'Modern Life' era Blur?

I don't like it. I LOVE IT!

'Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous' by Big L.

A mate recommended it to me - it's quite good.

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 17 2009, 1:51 PM BST

'Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous' by Big L.

A mate recommended it to me - it's quite good.

I didn't expect to ever see that mentioned on here! Big L was definitely a highly skilled/gifted MC. He'd often stray into Gangsta Rap territory, but somehow he'd do it in a tongue-in-cheek way, so you knew he was just making it all up. Check out a song of his called 'Devil's Son', on YouTube, in which he recounts a dream he had, in which he was the Devil's son. The best thing about his music, is the Production - his tracks always feature great, hard drums, which are missing from today's Hip hop.

I'm starting to like a lot of that sort of hip hop - stuff like Big L and Nas's 'Illmatic' are quite soul-y in a way.

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 17 2009, 6:46 PM BST

I'm starting to like a lot of that sort of hip hop - stuff like Big L and Nas's 'Illmatic' are quite soul-y in a way.

By the way, you know Big L's dead, right? He was killed 10 years ago, just as he was about to sign a massive record deal.

As for 'Illmatic', even though I've always thought it was slightly overrated, it's great, considering it was written by a 19/20-year-old. The song 'One Love' is my favourite. I bought that album way back in '94, when Hip hop's Golden Era was in it's last few months (if I was to choose the 5 greatest years in Hip hop, it would be '89 to '94).

I did indeed know of Big L's death.

Looking forward to the new 2Pac album though

I'm listening to the album Primary Colours by The Horrors.

I am stunned by how good it is. I couldn't stand their first album, but this is really good.

Close contender to Journal For Plague Lovers for my album of the year so far.

Primary Colours is great.

Looking forward to the Manics album tomorrow!

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 17 2009, 8:18 PM BST

Primary Colours is great.

Looking forward to the Manics album tomorrow!

I did a naughty and downloaded a couple of weeks ago, but I am actually going to buy the CD because it's that good. I'm glad I did download it because it persuaded me to buy tickets to see the Manics at the Forum next month, can't wait!

Flume by Bon Iver.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 17 2009, 8:24 PM BST

Flume by Bon Iver.

I f**king LOVE Bon Iver. That song especially. Bon Iver are playing in Brighton tomorrow but tickets sold out super-fast :(

Cardboard Eyelashes by Marzipan Death is great.

Not really, I was just trying to be cool by making up an obscure band and saying I like them.

:)

The main theme from 'Flight of the Navigator'.

Un Dernier Verre (Pour la Route) by Beirut.