British Comedy Guide

William Shakespeare - Genius or twat? Page 2

I have liked some Shakespeare, and been bored to tears by the rest.
So I'd say he falls somewhere inbetween genius and twat. :)
He's a gwat.

Some are boring... my boyfriend loves Shakespeare and I've been dragged to a couple of killers! :(

I reckon he's a genius. And become people say that he's boring when clealry he's the most talented writer ever (apart from Larry David and Rob Brydon) he's in effect an underrated genius.

Underrated?
I don't think so!

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ May 11 2009, 4:08 PM BST

I reckon he's a genius. And become people say that he's boring when clealry he's the most talented writer ever (apart from larry Larry David and Rob Brydon) he's in effect an underrated genius.

He is extremely talented. Some of his plays (albeit could be bad actors) are excruciating to sit through though. Far too long, and not "my thing".

Not enough car chases.

Quote: Gavin @ May 11 2009, 4:22 PM BST

Not enough car chases.

:D

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ May 11 2009, 4:08 PM BST

And become people say that he's boring when clealry he's the most talented writer ever

Doesn't mean he's not boring.

Quote: Gavin @ May 11 2009, 4:22 PM BST

Not enough car chases.

:D

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2009, 4:28 PM BST

Doesn't mean he's not boring.

It took Romeo like 4 pages to off himself if I remember, I'm sure some people like his stuff, but really not my cup of tea to be honest.

Didn't understand Shakespeare when I was at school and only really got into it when my brother was in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Understood a bit more when my children had to study MacBeth and Romeo and Juliette. Love the Olivia Hussey film version of that. A creative writing tutor got us working on Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day and now it is one of my favourites. Went to see Richard the Third and hated it. Perhaps it is more about whether a particular play or sonnet appeals to you than a generalisation about whether he is a twat or a genius.

Yep. She speaketh truly.

Quote: zooo @ May 11 2009, 5:32 PM BST

Yep. She speaketh truly.

Verily :D

I just couldn't get past I bite my thumb at thee sir. "Yeh well I'll kick you in the balls you stuck up little rich boy."

Quote: Gavin @ May 11 2009, 5:44 PM BST

I just couldn't get past I bite my thumb at thee sir. "Yeh well I'll kick you in the balls you stuck up little rich boy."

Laughing out loud

Quote: Loopey @ May 11 2009, 5:25 PM BST

Love the Olivia Hussey film version of that.

That's the Zeferelli one, isn't it? Bruce 'Withnail & I' Robinson is in it. Zeferelli propostioned him with the "are you a sponge or a stone?".

Quote: Loopey @ May 11 2009, 5:25 PM BST

Went to see Richard the Third and hated it.

I really enjoyed the film version with Ian McKellan (was it?), where it was set in a mid-20th century dictatorship.