British Comedy Guide

Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 20

Quite enjoyed this ep too. Very nice ending with the flowers as has already been mentioned and it made me laugh quite a few times. The audience still irritating and one or 2 of the characters could be stronger but on the whole I am pleased.

I hadn't noticed the audience laughter at all until the scene of him driving around in the carpark. It definitely sounded fake/annoying then.

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2009, 12:42 AM BST

I hadn't noticed the audience laughter at all until the scene of him driving around in the carpark. It definitely sounded fake/annoying then.

Yes. I agree 100%. The car park scene was pretty weak, was a good idea but could have been made a lot better (not a scratch on Bean :D). Would have been funnier if he just parked the way he did straight away rather than driving about trying to find a space for 30 seconds.

The audience laughter did grind on me though.

If I'm honest I only switch on for Martin Clunes. All the other characters are either weak, underdeveloped or overacted (his boss).

Anthony, Steve & Kerry are particularly poorly played and very unrealistic.

I have noticed that in the original, Rossiter used to play everything out in a deadpan way but he was also optimistic and he never made it obvious straight away that he was suffering and that he was miserable - it was only in his subtle facial expressions and thoughts that you could tell he was fed up of the repetitious grind of the everyday routine.

A scene that epitomises the original series for me is when he comes into work, snaps his brolly in half across his knee and says 'I thinks I'll clear my desk, Joan' by which he pushes everthing off. The fact that he isn't acting angry or frustrated when he does this makes the scene even funnier.

Martin Clunes comes across as more Alan Partridge than Reginald Perrin. Alan Partridge would say what was on his mind and didn't care if he hurt anyone's feelings. If someone who Alan found annoying had just been talking to him and then walked off, Alan would say something like 'Unbelievable!' or 'This county!'

Quote: Nick @ May 2 2009, 12:36 AM BST

The audience still irritating and one or 2 of the characters could be stronger but on the whole I am pleased.

I felt that with the original.

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2009, 12:42 AM BST

That whole scene was a bit too long.

I have to say that the thought of this filled me with dread. How dare they remake a classic. But I actually found myself enjoying it. Try and forget about the original and focus on this show itself and you'll probably enjoy it more. None of them can touch the originals but they were good enough for this show. And the CJ they have now is very reminiscent of bosses and Managers I see these days in terms of how they look. Loved the gag in the office with different sized chairs too.

I'll be interested to see how dark it potentially goes.

This reviewer shares my views exactly

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/shelleyvision/2009/04/reggie-perrin-one-occasion-whe.html

It really is quite unsettling watching another, lesser actor speak the same dialogue as comedy genius Leonard Rossiter.

...and I love the analogy that this reviewer makes here...

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/index.asp?sessionx=IpqiNwInNwTpJwU6IHqjNwB6IA&realname=TV_review_Doing_a_Reggie_Perrin

...where he writes

Part of the problem for Clunes is out of his control. It is a bit like getting a new stepfather; however likeable he is, he just isn't your dad.

Johnny, as somebody else asked, why the obsession?

Why are you spending your time trawling the internet for reviews and clogging up this board when you don't like the show? Have you nothing better to do with your life? As you've said that you know it won't get any better though, I presume that you won't be watching next week so we will be free from you in this thread at any rate.

Quote: Nick @ May 2 2009, 11:07 PM BST

Johnny, as somebody else asked, why the obsession?

Why are you spending your time trawling the internet for reviews and clogging up this board when you don't like the show? Have you nothing better to do with your life? As you've said that you know it won't get any better though, I presume that you won't be watching next week so we will be free from you in this thread at any rate.

So... is he not entitled to vocalise his opinion simply because it doesn't jar with yours, or because it's negative of Reggie Perrin?

It would be ever so good if you could clear this up for us.

x

He is no longer vocalising opinion, but trawling up more and more "evidence" to show the already often-stated opinion as "fact".

x

Quote: SnoopsWarner @ May 2 2009, 11:24 PM BST

So... is he not entitled to vocalise his opinion simply because it doesn't jar with yours, or because it's negative of Reggie Perrin?

I don't have a problem with anyone voicing their opinion. I'm not the only one to have questioned his obsession with this show. If he was a fanatical fan of the 1970s version then I could understand but he has already said that he hasn't even watched every episode yet.

And again I would ask why anybody who doesn't like the show would spend their time trawling the net to look for reviews. Surely everyone has better things to do than that?

Evidently not. ;)

It's hypocritical. By citing easily obtainable reviews, he's supporting his view that this show is sub-par; the exact same thing the pro-Reggie Perrin camp is doing by perpetuating the cycle of "circle-jerking" over this miserably damp squib.

Quote: Nick

And again I would ask why anybody who doesn't like the show would spend their time trawling the net to look for reviews. Surely everyone has better things to do than that?

"Trawling", again? That's hardly an appropriate term. Going Google >"Reggie Perrin Review" > Copy/Paste is hardly a trawl. If he were perhaps plundering the very depths of usenet and county council parish newsletter review columns, then perhaps.

Oh I see, you support his right to an opinion because you agree with it.

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2009, 11:38 PM BST

Oh I see, you support his right to an opinion because you agree with it.

In this instance, purely incidental.