British Comedy Guide

Sitcom formats Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ April 27 2009, 3:08 PM BST

Although I'm sure it's been done in other shows before and since, Family Guy is also worth a mention for its cutaway sketches, normally into the world of Peter's imagination.

What used that method of storytelling first - Family Guy, or Arrested Development?

Family Guy by quite a long way.

I like the incredibly long cutaway sketches - sometimes quite serious and deliberately dramatic - in which you get the complete story of a murder or something. They really push the envelope with those.

I always felt 15 Storeys High had a unique style to it. Anyone able to gimme some shows with a similar style?

'Last of the Summer Wine', which currently juggles about 9 or 10 different strands in one thirty-minute episode?

I'm joking, sort of, but I watched episode 2 of this latest series last night and found that very bizarre. It's not far off being a sketch show about Yorkshire pensioners now.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ April 29 2009, 4:06 PM BST

'Last of the Summer Wine', which currently juggles about 9 or 10 different strands in one thirty-minute episode?

I'm joking, sort of, but I watched episode 2 of this latest series last night and found that very bizarre. It's not far off being a sketch show about Yorkshire pensioners now.

Isn't that something to do with insurance reasons? They can only afford insurance for one scene per show of Wallace.