British Comedy Guide

Rhetorical Question Time

would be very grateful for any help you fine people can offer.

Thankyou

STAGE IS SET SIMILAR TO QUESTION TIME. THE HOST IS SAT AT A TABLE WITH A GUEST EITHER SIDE OF HIM

ANNOUNCER:
We now go live to Northampton for this week's Rhetorical Question Time

HOST:
Good evening and welcome to Rhetorical Question Time with me your host David Francis. This week we are joined by the MP and Cabinet Minister Marcus Bloom and the Political Commentator and editor of the Weekly Muse magazine Lucy Hawke.

INTRO MUSIC

HOST:
Now with the government today announcing new measures to "stop and search" in areas which have a high crime rate and with violent crime continuing to be a major concern to the British public. Will the government's latest initiatives actually reduce violent crime? Or merely reduce the figures?

MARCUS:
Erm well in answer to that questi……

HOST:
(INTERUPTS) Noooo! This is Rhetorical Question Time Marcus. You can't actually answer the question! you must merely deflect the question by replying with another rhetorical question. I know this is your first time on the programme but I thought you would have seen the show before. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

MARCUS:
Yes I have seen the show before I……..

HOST:
(INTERUPTS) Nooo! Come on Marcus get with it. That's not too much to ask is it?

LONG SILENCE

HOST:
Gooooood (RUSTLES NOTES)

LUCY:
I would like to make a point if I may? (BRIEF PAUSE) I'm sorry but I can't see anything changing under this Prime Minister. This government has continually had a softly softly approach to crime and more specifically violent crime. I'm left wondering would this have happened under the previous administration?

MARCUS:
(STARTING TO SOUND A BIT ON EDGE) Well I can say this government has introduced a range of initiatives to help combat crime, we're currently trying to engage young people in the most deprived areas and hopefully we will soon see positive results from our initiatives? (RAISES HIS VOICE AT THE END AS IF HE'S ASKING A QUESTION)

HOST:
I'm asking myself was that a rhetorical question?

MARCUS:
Of course it was a rhetorical que……..

HOST:
(INTERUPTS) Arrrrr! Come on Marcus! This is Rhetorical Question Time remember?

MARCUS:
Yes I…… Oh (REALISES HE'S BE TRICKED AGAIN)

HOST:
Arrrrr! Dear oh dear Marcus, you're not sounding too clever in front of your constituents are you? (LOOKS AT MARCUS)

MARCUS:
(SHAKES HIS HEAD)

HOST:
(STARES AT MARCUS). Dear me. (PAUSE) Now, can we have a question from the audience please? (POINTS AT AUDIENCE) No, not the ugly man in the hat, no not the disfigured child, yes the woman with the large head at the end, now does she have an insightful question for our panel?

WOMAN IN AUDIENCE
This question is for the MP. I have growing concerns about the current state of the economy. What with falling interest rates and increased unemployment. I can't help but wonder, where do we go from here?

MARCUS
(SOUNDING UNCONVINCING) Well I suppose the opposition will be blaming us for the current crisis but is it all my parties' fault that the economy is in such a mess?

WOMAN IN AUDIENCE:
Well is the Pope a Catholic?

MARCUS:
(FLUSTERED) Er well I... well I think we need to erm….

HOST:
(STARING AT MARCUS) Oh dear

LUCY:
Leading on from the audience members question about the economy, I find it terribly hypercritical that the banks continue to bemoan the recession and the world economy and yet we keep seeing these bankers who failed in their jobs and have actually been detrimental to the economy, receiving these huge bonuses. I will certainly be interested to hear Minister Bloom's speech on the situation tomorrow, but will it just be another case of "we know best"?

MARCUS:
Well the economy is obviously not as healthy as we would like, but if you look at the figures, in the three terms we've been at Number 10 we've reduced child poverty, reduced hospital...

HOST:
(STARTS TALKING OVER MARCUS)
I'm beginning to tire of you Marcus. I'm asking myself, does Marcus Bloom know what he's talking about?

MARCUS:
(CONTINUES TO TALK ALTHOUGH HE SOUNDS UPSET)
Waiting lists, er we've reduced waiting lists er and crime in inner city....

HOST:
(TALKING OVER MARCUS) Marcus Blooooom Marcus Blooooom. (IN CHILDISH VOICE) Is Marcus the worst person to ever grace Rhetorical Question Time?

MARCUS:
(SOUNDING MORE UPSET) areas. Would the previous administration have managed to implement such changes? (RAISES VOICE AS IF ASKING A QUESTION) I don't think….

HOST:
(CONTINUES TALKING OVER MARCUS) Oh dear Marcus this is getting very very embarrassing. I'm wondering, how did you get so far in politics if you can't even ask a decent rhetorical question?

MARCUS:
But you can't pin all the current economic (STARTS SOBBING QUIETLY) problems on our govern…… (STARTS CRYING)

HOST:
(SOUNDING GRATIFIED) Yeah that's it. Gooooood (RUSTLES NOTES)

END MUSIC STARTS IN BACKGROUND.

MARCUS:
Bully! You're a bully.

HOST:
Mmm did that sound like a rhetorical question?

MARCUS:
This show is an absolute farce!

HOST:
(SPOKEN IN JOLLY UPBEAT VOICE.) And I'm afraid that that's all we have time for this week. But please join us again next week for another insightful edition of Rhetorical Question Time? (RAISES HIS VOICE AT THE END AS IF HE'S ASKING A QUESTION)

CLOSING MUSIC

Will try and read this later when have time, but the opening announcer's line strikes me as unneeded. Everything makes sense without it.

It's a good idea but you give the punchline in the first line and then you explain it over and over.

It's a great idea so have the confidence the audience will get it.

I'm almost tempted to write my version.

Thanks for the advice sootyj. I agree there is perhaps too much explaination.

It sounds like a good idea for a sketch. But it needs reducing by half at least.

I think this is a very good idea and well written. Not sure how people can say its too long as if this was a sketch on any decent comedy show this would be a about the right length. From an outside perspective sketches on this site tend to be very short and generally, I'm sorry to say, not very good.

On another note, people bang on about punchlines but this isn't a cracker joke -monty python, jam, armando iannucci show - the sketchs don't deal in punchlines on the whole. Sometimes a funny idea and concept, which is well written and well structured is better than just a sketch with a "joke" at the end of it. Comedies evolving but a lot of people on here seem to think they have to write stuff in the style of a morecambe and wise sketch.

At the risk of alienating myself, which I can live with, there does seem to be a bit of a love in with certain people on this site even when their stuff isn't particually good. I don't see this as being particually useful to them or anyone as all it does is serve to delude them. This also leads the site to be quite a difficult place for "newbies" who are looking for help and are often overlooked.

Be interested to see what sootyj could come up with, not sure it would be much better than this though.

Quote: I'm Not Marshal Foch @ April 26 2009, 6:58 PM BST

I think this is a very good idea and well written. Not sure how people can say its too long as if this was a sketch on any decent comedy show this would be a about the right length. From an outside perspective sketches on this site tend to be very short and generally, I'm sorry to say, not very good.

On another note, people bang on about punchlines but this isn't a cracker joke -monty python, jam, armando iannucci show - the sketchs don't deal in punchlines on the whole. Sometimes a funny idea and concept, which is well written and well structured is better than just a sketch with a "joke" at the end of it. Comedies evolving but a lot of people on here seem to think they have to write stuff in the style of a morecambe and wise sketch.

At the risk of alienating myself, which I can live with, there does seem to be a bit of a love in with certain people on this site even when their stuff isn't particually good. I don't see this as being particually useful to them or anyone as all it does is serve to delude them. This also leads the site to be quite a difficult place for "newbies" who are looking for help and are often overlooked.

Be interested to see what sootyj could come up with, not sure it would be much better than this though.

How very patronising. A generalisation I presume?

Not everyone on the forum is in a clique or 'love in' as you so weirdly put it. I think there is alot of talent on this forum and a great variation of styles.

As for cracker jokes, there is no place for racism on the forum. So please refrain from such references.

Alienating yourself? have you read ANYTHING of Morraces?

And before you get all defensive, I have friends on here who will back me up no end PARTICUALLY Don Rushmore.

With regards to the actual sketch. I laughed quite a bit, very well written, captured it well. I'll try to leave more in-depth feedback tomorrow as I am too tired at the moment.

Welcome to the forum Vince.

Quote: Craig H @ April 27 2009, 12:59 AM BST

As for cracker jokes, there is no place for racism on the forum. So please refrain from such references.

This may be the strangest thing I've ever read on here.

I didn't understand it...the sketch, that is