British Comedy Guide

Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 12

Not sure if this has previously been mentioned but why the hell are the BBC playing Episode 1 again tonight at 9pm? How sad that they have to repeat the episode at Primetime, the night after it's premiere. Pretty poor from the BBC.

Quote: Huge Bear @ April 25 2009, 3:50 PM BST

One day somebody'll do a remix that improves on the original (and pigs might fly)

:D I have the original on my phone, it wakes me up everyday. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 25 2009, 3:53 PM BST

:D I have the original on my phone, it wakes me up everyday. :D

You'll be running naked into the sea to end it all one day then!

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ April 25 2009, 3:52 PM BST

Not sure if this has previously been mentioned but why the hell are the BBC playing Episode 1 again tonight at 9pm? How sad that they have to repeat the episode at Primetime, the night after it's premiere. Pretty poor from the BBC.

They've done that a few times lately. Lazy.

Quote: Huge Bear @ April 25 2009, 3:55 PM BST

You'll be running naked into the sea to end it all one day then!

:D It not that bad, yet.

Why is repeating it the next day bad?

It would be nice to have another new comedy, or at least a new programme for a primetime slot on a Saturday.

Oh I seeee. Fair enough.

Quote: Jane P @ April 25 2009, 2:40 PM BST

What's wrong with the name Perrin? It's the closest I'll get to being famous. :)

Ha! I just think he didn't need to be called 'Reggie Perrin'. He could be 'Smith' and it wouldn't subtract anything from the show. Also 'Reggie' is an unusual name for someone of Clunes' age, whereas it suited the earlier era fine.

Quote: Stuart Collie @ April 25 2009, 3:03 PM BST

"I didn't get where I am today without knowing that suit makes you look like a bride at a lesbian wedding"

Really made me laugh that line

Yes that made me laugh too. And, more importantly, it didn't feel shoe-horned in; it worked very well.

From the trailer I was dreading the secretary but she was quite funny. The two assistant chaps were a bit, erm, broad though. If that makes sense.

So Nick, in your book 'Positive review' = 'Intelligent discussion'?

Didn't like it.

Bit too "safe". Bit too BBC/ITV Saturday dinner-time family sitcom style. Tired old cliches. Clunes does his best Jack Dee impression while his secretary does her best Little Britain "computer says no" impression. Boss/absolutely everyone else plays the tired old "supporting cast made up of unbelievable idiots". It's 2009, for f**ks sake.

Probably sounded like a good idea in somebody's head but fails in the execution. There's nothing new or stimulating in this. The only accomplishment is Clunes' ability to exist in a complete charisma vacuum.

Quote: johnny smith @ April 25 2009, 1:11 PM BST

Seeing Reggie with a hang out buddy in a generic sitcom pub was the last straw for me. I felt like I was watching 'Not Going Out'.

God, YES. THAT'S what this reminds me of. I felt the EXACT same way.

I'd rather watch a repeat of something else.

I thought it was brilliant. I found the original quite dull.

It's funny because David Nobbs who wrote the books and the TV series said yesterday on Richard and Judy that he feels Martin Clunes does the character more like how Reggie Perrin should be than Leonard Rossiter did.

Nobbs actually originally wanted Ronnie Barker for the role.

I actually thought it was very funny.

Definitely a success for me. What are the reviews like for it?

Has it been rightfully praised?

Well, I thought it was funny. Much funnier than I thought it would be, and I'm glad they deliberately lost certain catchphrases in the new version: 'Great' and 'Super' wouldn't have worked. *And* it's nice to see that great bit of contemporary realism -- the fact that the trains are *much* worse thirty years later

;)

Dan

Quote: SnoopsWarner @ April 25 2009, 6:50 PM BST

Bit too ITV Saturday dinner-time family sitcom style.

Eh? When was the last time one of those existed?