British Comedy Guide

Flashback-packing

Hey, just written a new sketch. Just wanting some advice on it.

A man, Pieter, walks into a typical looking travel agents and makes eye contact with the young lady behind the desk. He smiles and approaches the available seat behind her.

Lady:
Hello sir, what could I do for you?

Pieter:
Well I'd like to book a holiday for me and my wife, but to be honest with you I have absolutely no idea where to start. We are looking to go away for a week or so this august preferably somewhere sunny. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on where to begin really it's so tough knowing where to begin (smiles at the young lady)

Lady:
Of course sir, Well let me just have a look at my computer.

Lady looks on the computer and clicks about, taps away on her computer and a smile comes across her face.

Lady:
Well, we have a great deal here, to go away in august on holiday to the year 1974 if you'd be interested. The deal is for £544 which includes travel, a hotel for two for the week and a tour of the year. I must warn you however there is a stop over in 1975 which explains the low price.

Pieter:
Er, sorry, 1984? Stop over? What are you talking about

Lady:
Of course well as its a long journey the time travel machine will need to stop over in 1975 for refuelling. It generally..

Pieter:
(cutting in) no, no. I mean what the hell? Going on holiday to a date? Is that even possible?

Lady:
(looking slightly embarrassed) of course sir, I should have explained that its a new service we are working on. Rather than going travelling more and more people are going time travelling. We like to call it "Flash-back Packing" its incredibly popular with students, particularly history students. We have competitive prices as well sir. No one takes you back in time quite as cheap as we do (the lady smiles)

Pieter:
Really? Are you serious? You're not winding me up?

Lady:
No sir, our prices really are the best in the country
Pieter:
No, I mean about the time travel. How has this even come about?

Lady:
(looking a bit bored as if she's explained this a hundred times before) Well due to lapses in the time space continuum and recent advances in netospheric vortexial sheath technology we've managed to utilise a range of our existing fleet of aircraft to take passengers back in time. We've been running an ad campaign on television recently have you not seen them?

Pieter:
(looking noticeably excitable)No, no, I don't remember that (pauses and looks as if he's just thought of something) Wow, This is amazing. So can you go back to any year?

Lady:
Yes sir, any year except 1992.

Pieter:
Why not 1992

Lady:
Why would anyone want to go to 1992 sir?

Pieter:
No, I suppose your right. So I could go back to 1983 when I met my wife?

Lady:
You could do sir. May I recommend 1985 instead? 1985 is very nice this time of year. Normally we would suggest 1983 but apparently its not quite what it was - one customer told me it's like a concrete jungle and has unfortunately "sold out".

Pieter:
Oh really? That's a shame, I remember when that happened to Benidorm. Er well would you recommend any other time?

Lady:
Well1963 is a better bet as it was like 1968' five years ago. That's always an option and we could offer you a very competitive rate. (goes to look at it on the computer)

Pieter:
Argh this is confusing. Do you travel back in weeks? Or just years? I mean could I go back to say, er like 2 weeks ago? I bought a new coat two weeks ago which cost me 80 quid but it doesn't fit and I lost the reciept. Maybe if I could go back in time, I could find the receipt and take it back?

Lady:
Yes sir, of course. Let me just have a look on the computer. (looks on the computer screen) Yes sir, we have a deal here for two weeks ago. £400 pounds for a two week holiday, two weeks ago, including a stay in the Grand Hotel.

Pieter:
Ooothat's a really nice hotel as well and its close to the shop I got by coat from. Fantastic. My wife will love it, and it'll take me right up to today as well.

Lady:
That's right sir, so you won't have to take any time of work.

Pieter:
Ok this sounds great. Can I pay now? When does it leave?

Lady:
We have a flight this afternoon. And of course you can sir. That will be 400 pounds for tonight's flight

Pieter:
Fantastic. (hands over his card)

Payment is processed and Pieter shakes the women's hand and gets up to leave

Lady:
Oh, sir, don't forget your umbrella, I remember it raining a couple of weeks ago (the lady smiles at the man)

Pieter:
Of course it did. Just my luck ey? Book a holiday and it bloody rains. So typical (the man shakes his head) Oh well. Thanks again

Man leave the travel agents.

It's an interesting idea but it seems a little joke lite and quite long, also there's no real punchline.

I think if you could give each year he considers a "humerous character"

Yeh, I wrote it in about 15 minutes.. I forgot it was actually meant to be funny and have jokes in it. In my haste I thought I was just on "The British Forums"...

Thank you for your constructive feedback sooty