British Comedy Guide

Sitcom idea - please help

I'm currently writing a sit com and I wish for your help!

I've decided to set my sitcom during the construction of the channnel tunnel. It's set in 1993 just as construction on the tunnel is in full flow and it follows both the french side and the english side, so it's quite an ambitious script! I've written about 50% in english and 50% in french, so if there are any french languagists out there I would be very grateful for any input!

I know its a bit of a risk but please be patient and offer any advice you can.

INT- DAY- CHANNEL TUNNEL

Gareth:
Come on guys! just another 10 miles to go and we're in the middle!

James:
Whats the point! you know them frenchies will make it there first!

Gareth:
Why do you say that?

James:
Well you know what them frenchies are like, they'll probably lay out loads of frog legs so we trip over them and don't make it to the middle in time!

Gareth:
Good point, but you can't be like that, them frenchies aren't all bad.

James:
What makes you say that?

Gareth:
I knew a frenchie a once, she was alright. Yeah so she was bit overweight but other than that she was really nice, and also very very funny!

James:
are you just talking about Dawn French again?

Gareth:
(reluctant) yes, so what if I am. She's so funny and the gag with her in a big bra never get's old.

James:
Here we go again!

Pierre :
Ces idiots anglais n'ont aucune idée quel; traçage re !

Jean :
Que sommes-nous traçant encore ?

Pierre :
Vous savez, le tout laisse obtenir au milieu avant qu'ils fassent la chose.

Jean :
Oh ouais, et pourquoi faisons-nous cela ?

Pierre :
(Parler comme si le beurre fonte de faux) De sorte que nous obtenions d'appeler le tunnel après une personne française! remenber vous débile! nous pouvons l'appeler le tunnel de Didier Dechamps. Voyez comment les anglais aiment cela.

Jean:
I longtemps pour le jour où des personnes françaises ne sont plus mentionnées dans la même phrase que Dawn French! Je souhaite que son et son mari se casse!.

Pierre:
(petit et même)Oui, je souhaite que Dawn French juste meure et nous ait laissés poursuivre avec nos vies.

Jean:
la danse des juste et espèrent que le tunnel sous la Manche se construit !

Woah! A sitcom in two languages is too much for me!

I liked the joke about the Dawn French joke never getting old.

I imagine this could be a recurring sketch but I don't think it works as a sitcom idea. I can't imagine there are many plot opportunities!

I actually think there might be quite a few plot themes for this.

Having two different sets of characters that never meet, each working towards the same goal might be interesting.

It would never work written in two languages. Most of us haven't even got the hang of English yet. It would have to be another Allo Allo style farce.

And he's back.

Nitram - it's like a Tale of Two Cities in comedy form. A real treat for all bi-lingual engineering fans.

Yeah but the idea will never hold water.

I dunno, it could be an underground hit.

Was this the original Buy one - get one free?

C'est terrible et une liquidation.

Quote: Marc P @ April 12 2009, 11:14 AM BST

And he's back.

Yup.

How can the frenchies lay out frogs legs, this side of the tunnel? They'd have to go round, or over. Or build another smaller frog sized tunnel for the frogs to squirm through, with tiny little explosive devices connected to their thighs, which could be set off remotely. The frogs of course would have to wear little frog trousers to secrete their diggings, which could be disposed of discreetly, during teabreaks this side. I mean our teabreaks, not the frogs. You may think I'm tlking bollocks, but then so are you.

Frogs trousers? explosives? the? I'm not sure I should bring a terrorist element to the sit com, especially during these times when we're on amber alert(a threat is unlikely but a posibility. Remember those heady days on green?).

The idea of frogs packed with tiny explosives blowing up the channel tunnel is unpleasant and slightly out of sync with the overall tone and vision I have for the show, which is that of untold tunnelling japery and whim!

Viva La Channel Tunnel!

Quote: Nitram Skir @ April 12 2009, 7:50 PM BST

Frogs trousers? explosives? the? I'm not sure I should bring a terrorist element to the sit com, especially during these times when we're on amber alert(a threat is unlikely but a posibility.

Also a Troll Red Alert(a threat is a probability).

There could certainly be some sort of great escape type shenanigans. A tom, dick and harry type naming of the different tunnels (if there happen to be different tunnels) perhaps.

"I want a nice long dick"
or
"Je Voudrais une grande penis"

Depending on which side of the tunnel the hapless fellows fall upon..

I'd like to say I'm excited by this idea, but in the interest of honesty, I won't be doing so....