British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 25

I listened to I'm Spartacus last night. I feel that the series has legs, and I did find myself laughing, especially at the tag-line round where Will Smith said: "Meet the family with a difference... it's the Fritzls!"

However, I think there is room for improvement. I wouldn't have included that travel report sketch in the middle of the show.

I thought I'd share my thoughts on last week's radio...

The Stanley Baxter Playhouse: Not listened to it yet... but last week's was a bit boring IMHO.

The Now Show: Always makes me laugh. Nice to have Hugh and Marcus back.

I'm Spartacus: Not bad, not bad. Heavily scripted, but still funny. Deserves to go to a series as it was much funnier than Radio 2's other panel shows.

4 Stands Up: This show always annoys me, as the comics just use it as a place to recycle their old material.

My Teenage Diary: Russell Kane was a particularly good guest. I recommend listening back to this one if you haven't heard it yet. Funny.

Mark Steel's In Town: A real un-expected highlight. This series has been really funny - some real top quality stand-up from Steel.

Safety Catch: One of the funniest sitcoms I've heard for a while. I didn't enjoy the first series as much, so that statement does come as a surprise. Love some of the slightly risky jokes (e.g. the kid soldier ones).

Heresy: Yawn.

Arturart: Yawn.

The Unbelievable Truth: Ticking along nicely. I still can't work out if this show has the potential to become a long-running game like Just A Minute, or whether it's going to go stale soon. David Mitchell is obviously a real asset to the format.

Quote: Mark @ April 10 2009, 11:18 PM BST

Safety Catch: One of the funniest sitcoms I've heard for a while. I didn't enjoy the first series as much, so that statement does come as a surprise. Love some of the slightly risky jokes (e.g. the kid soldier ones).

Agree with this. It stands out all the more because most R4 comedy is too cosy for it's own good.

I'm not sure what to make of tonight's The Unbelievable Truth. Will Self was obviously the star of the show, and I liked his Vimto routine, but it might be viewed that he was too dominant.

Oh that's Will Self for you. always has to be top dog.....

Went to the recording of The Now Show last Thursday. Steve Punt completely missed a cue during a sketch as he was completely bamboozled by one of the answers to the audience question. It happened to be mine! Something about spotting Hugh Dennis in M&S inspecting the ladies swimwear... I was thrilled. My husband nearly keeled over in embarrassment. Didn't make the final cut, but the memories are all mine...

Yes. I don't get out much.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 13 2009, 7:26 PM BST

I'm not sure what to make of tonight's The Unbelievable Truth. Will Self was obviously the star of the show, and I liked his Vimto routine, but it might be viewed that he was too dominant.

*That* was the most aweeeesome thing at the recording.

I am very much enjoying Count Arthur Strong. At first I thought it was a bit old hat and contrived, but once you get into it its very addictive.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 14 2009, 9:06 AM BST

I am very much enjoying Count Arthur Strong. At first I thought it was a bit old hat and contrived, but once you get into it its very addictive.

I'm not a massive fan of it, but it is weirdly addictive.

I enjoyed Mark Steel last night. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but he's a hugely engaging personality. And I particularly like the girl speaking Welsh with a French accent.

The first series of On The Blog is being repeated on Radio 2 on Thursdays. First episode available to listen to again here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/comedy/

(If you follow it, the first episode of the second series is one of my all-time favourite radio sitcom episodes ever.)

Dan

I thought Arthur Smith was great value on The Unbelievable Truth last night. He genuinely didn't seem to understand the game.

I thought the Down the Line special last night on the credit crunch was excellent, with lots of laugh out loud moments. My favourite bits were about hating the French and the guy who wanted to become a dictator and run Britain. Although I hope the TV version is a success, I also hope they carry on making the radio show.

Here's details on the TV version: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/down_the_line/

I enjoyed Mark Steel's show again this evening. He's very witty; I hope he does another series.

"Rabbit!" "Bunny!" :D

Quote: JuliaC @ April 22 2009, 11:17 PM BST

I enjoyed Mark Steel's show again this evening. He's very witty; I hope he does another series.

"Rabbit!" "Bunny!" :D

So do I. In case he is reading this thread, Stockton-on-Tees is quite interesting.