British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 23

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 24 2009, 3:01 PM GMT

I notice from the listings there's a new Arthur Smith show on the radio tonight. I might actually have to make the effort to listen to that.

I'm planning to listen to it to. Miriam Elia from A Series of Psychotic Episodes is also on the show.

I saw an Arthur Smith show at Edinburgh in, I think, 1994, a show called Publicity Stunt. A show which he only appeared in via a pre-recorded audio tape, the cheeky beggar!

I listened to Artuart last night. It was alright. It was more educational than amusing though. Still, it was enjoyable.

A cracking end to a cracking series. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Quote: chipolata @ March 25 2009, 12:01 PM GMT

A cracking end to a cracking series. Hopefully it won't be the last.

I was talking about Clare in the Community there.

Last night's Now Show was pretty good after a weak couple of shows, although jokes about Ricky Gervais's tired old jokes about how many Emmys he's won are almost as tired as, well, Ricky Gervais's jokes about how many Emmys he's won.

As usual, a few months behind. Just listened to Nick Mohammed in Quarters and The Correspondent.

Quarters was a bit odd. I really like Nick Mohammed's voice -- there's something very easy to listen to about it. Not sure about the sketches -- a bit surreal for me, though there is an excellent one about an air-traffic controller in the second episode. The fourth episode is just one long 15-minute sketch which was bizarre (though I suspect it was recorded at the Edinburgh Festival and is one of his on-stage personas or something).

The Correspondent was very good, though I like Tom Allen too. He strikes me as the sort of person who's trying to annoy you, but just not succeeding. I like the setup and everything being done by text/email/memo/poster. A bit On The Blog-y but I think there's plenty of room for that sort of thing on radio.

Neither was sparklingly brilliant but both were entertaining.

Dan

I liked Quarters, although I agree it wasn't earth shattering, but could never warm to The Correspondent.

Can I be the first to say, "Poor, poor Milton". That was unlucky on tonight's The Unbelievable Truth, not just to get none of his truths past the panel, but to say something that was accently true in the lecture as well.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 30 2009, 7:09 PM BST

Can I be the first to say, "Poor, poor Milton". That was unlucky on tonight's The Unbelievable Truth, not just to get none of his truths past the panel, but to say something that was accently true in the lecture as well.

:D That was funny. And I've said it before, but if Milton Jones was on TV, he'd be huge, but because he's on radio he seems destined to remain a cult.

And on the subject of last night's show, I dreaded the presence of Johnny Vaughn, but thought he was pretty good value.

Quote: chipolata @ March 31 2009, 9:50 AM BST

:D That was funny. And I've said it before, but if Milton Jones was on TV, he'd be huge, but because he's on radio he seems destined to remain a cult.

For some reason I don't think Jones would be big on TV. As his material is mainly word-based and puns, it suits radio more than television which is meant to be more visual. But then again, Ronnie Barker was great at wordplay and was a huge success on TV, so you never know.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 31 2009, 10:01 AM BST

For some reason I don't think Jones would be big on TV.

No, I agree. I guess I just think he deserves far greater recognition, but he'll probably never get it just on radio.

Quote: chipolata @ March 31 2009, 9:50 AM BST

And on the subject of last night's show, I dreaded the presence of Johnny Vaughn, but thought he was pretty good value.

I agree, it was a great panel last night, even Mr Vaughan.

I loved David getting botanical and zoological mixed up! :D Even when he makes a mistake he still manages to twist it round to make the best jokes so he still 'wins'.

Nice to see The Now Show returning to form after a shaky start, although I miss Hugh Dennis. Where is he?

Don't worry, he is back next week, as well as Marcus.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 4 2009, 2:05 PM BST

Don't worry, he is back next week, as well as Marcus.

You give with one hand, and take with the other, Ian.