British Comedy Guide

Watson's Wind Up - oneliners & short sketches. Page 5

Peter Mandelson skin irritation one-liner

Haven't come up with anything for this week though :( Have a line which makes me laugh, but I fear it's bad taste.

Ah yes :)

The last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to think of much as the news has been so doom n gloom.

But this week, I've sent a few sketches, which I think they'll like.

And I thought up a great sketch today (AFTER the dealine) so I'll send that one next week.

Have a line which makes me laugh, but I fear it's bad taste

I'd send it anyway, just in case. Let me guess... Fritzl?

Quote: Mikey J @ March 19 2009, 2:19 PM GMT

Ah yes :)

The last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to think of much as the news has been so doom n gloom.

But this week, I've sent a few sketches, which I think they'll like.

And I thought up a great sketch today (AFTER the dealine) so I'll send that one next week.

Jade Goody?

The deadline isn't set in stone, BTW. I once got something in on a Friday morning. But it has to be really good to change their schedule for.

Oh right.
Well, I still think I'll save my new sketch for next week.
Or should I?
Er.... bugger! lol

Yeah, I think I will save it as us non comm writers only have a certain amount of airtime per episode.

Quote: Mikey J @ March 19 2009, 2:19 PM GMT

No, not that. Or Jade. Surprising, I know ;) Though had a quickie sketch idea for Fritzl that maybe will write up and send to NR.

Nah, was just a topical one-liner about generic health news.

Look forward to hearing some of those sketches :)

Thanks for the thread and all the posts - we managed to get the very last gag on this week's show so quite happy with that. Good luck all for next week :D

Well done Biscuit!

Argh. Mine didn't get in as both of mine were covered by similar sketches. (for example, the William Wallace/Royal Mail story and the Peeping Tom story.)

Yeah, also had the William Wallace idea, but never got round to writing it. Theirs was better than the angle I'd thought of anyway.

Well done Biscuit :)

My Wallace idea was:

"MSP Christine Grahame has requested that William Wallace's Safe Conduct letter should be returned to Scotland. However, a spokesman at the National Archives in Surrey has told us that they actually returned the letter to Scotland in 1305, the year of Wallace's capture. Apparently, they used Royal Mail Second Class post, so it should arrive in Scotland any day now."

So I guess that inspired them to write their Royal Mail gag.

Anyone get anything in yesterdays? Sent a couple of lines in for the first time in a couple of weeks but got nothing on.

Did get a contract this morning though for previous stuff; does anyone really ever have any idea what these things are saying?

Hi there,

Nothing this week from us, did send a couple in but they covered the stories in different ways. Haven't had any paperwork through as yet either.

Did get a contract this morning though for previous stuff; does anyone really ever have any idea what these things are saying?

It's a typical common-or-garden contract, mostly to do with copyright and stuff. I thought most places had done away with jargon. :)

Well, I THOUGHT I got a gag on (the one about McNulty still living with his mother, albeit was worded slightly differently) but I didn't hear my name credited at the end.
Must've been a very similar gag from someone else.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ March 28 2009, 6:44 PM BST

Well, I THOUGHT I got a gag on (the one about McNulty still living with his mother, albeit was worded slightly differently) but I didn't hear my name credited at the end.
Must've been a very similar gag from someone else.

This exact same thing happened to me last week. The suspects for the smashing the RBS chief's windows was very similar to mine and the overturned whiskey lorry was word for word. Still I guess they are pretty obvious.

The week before that
"The IRA ... now there's a blast from the past"

got nowhere which was a shame as I like that gag - concise yet poignant. And if you say with a Basil Brush voice you can say "Boom Boom"

got nowhere which was a shame as I like that gag

Simply create a portfolio of your material on your hard drive and save that gag in it.
That's what I do.
Gags can be recycled to fit in with other shows. :)

For example, I had a sketch in NewsRevue about the Northern Rock collapse.
Then, several months later HBOS collapsed, so I simply rewrote the sketch to fit and, hey ho! NewsRevue used it again.
All I had to do was change the bank names.

Moral of this story:
Save everything you write.
I've got everything I've ever written stored neaty in separate folders in a very OCD way. :)