British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 22

David Mitchell's very good on Just A Minute, but I wish the audience wouldn't show such obvious bias for him. It got to the stage where anybody who challenged him was getting a rough ride from them.

Forgot to mention that I also found Friday's Now Show quite flat. And the sketch with Gordon Brown's Washington speech being converted into Obama-speak was dire.

Another very strong episode of Clare in the Community. If it was a TV sitcom that had performed so well over the same period of time, it would be lauded to the rooftops, but because it's radio it tends to be ignored by almost everyone.

Quote: chipolata @ March 11 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

Another very strong episode of Clare in the Community. If it was a TV sitcom that had performed so well over the same period of time, it would be lauded to the rooftops, but because it's radio it tends to be ignored by almost everyone.

You don't happen to be a writer for Clare in the community do you?

I know comedy tastes have people divided so often and it is very subjective but......

I think it's wank!!!

Anyone???

Quote: Crusty427 @ March 11 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

You don't happen to be a writer for Clare in the community do you?

I wish. But no, I just think it's a good show that knows what it's doing. It's not particularly ground-breaking or cutting edge, but it makes me laugh.

Quote: Crusty427 @ March 11 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

wank!!!

Anyone???

Maybe later. But I'm in the office at the moment. ;)

It's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread so I might as well bring it up. For fans of Spats, BBC Radio 7 is going to start a repeat run at the end of the month. They are broadcasting the first two episodes as part of a double-bill on the 29th March at 23:00.

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

Forgot to mention that I also found Friday's Now Show quite flat. And the sketch with Gordon Brown's Washington speech being converted into Obama-speak was dire.

Found Friday's Now Show pretty flat again. It hasn't really jelled for me this series. Maybe it's all just becoming a bit too tired and predictable? Or maybe the news isn't particularly mirth-inducing? Hope it improves soon.

The Unbelievable Truth was great yesterday. I think they've actually found a very durable format that will be with us for the next twenty odd years or so.

Yes I liked it too, but a reviewer for the Radio Times didn't. You can see his review here.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 24 2009, 10:09 AM GMT

Yes I liked it too, but a reviewer for the Radio Times didn't. You can see his review here.

It's certainly got it's problems, but it works a damn sight better than a lot of other recent Radio 4 panel shows, like the atrocious Personality Test.

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2009, 10:33 AM GMT

It's certainly got it's problems, but it works a damn sight better than a lot of other recent Radio 4 panel shows, like the atrocious Personality Test.

And Act Your Age - that was just awful.

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

David Mitchell's very good on Just A Minute, but I wish the audience wouldn't show such obvious bias for him. It got to the stage where anybody who challenged him was getting a rough ride from them.

I've never heard David Mitchell on JAM- I'll listen out for that as I like him and imagine he'd be good. It's just that Parsons tends to get up my nose a bit. I don't want to get all Daily Telegraph about it but his scoring is usually all wrong...

As Humph put it:

"Nicholas Parsons - the reason so many people swear by their radio"

and

"Nicholas Parsons is arguably the wittiest man on radio. Although it's not an argument anybody's ever won..."

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 24 2009, 10:56 AM GMT

And Act Your Age - that was just awful brilliant.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 24 2009, 11:04 AM GMT

I've never heard David Mitchell on JAM - I'll listen out for that as I like him and imagine he'd be good.

Bizarrely, given Mitchell's super English skills, you'd expect him to have been a regular on Just A Minute for years now... however this series just gone was the first time he's appeared on the show. That said, yeah, great performances - the audience certainly warmed to him.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 24 2009, 11:04 AM GMT

Its just that Parsons tends to get up my nose a bit- I don't want to get all Daily Telegraph about it but his scoring is usually all wrong...

As Humph put it:

"Nicholas Parsons- the reason so many people swear by their radio"

and

"Nicholas Parsons is arguably the wittiest man on radio. Although its not an argument anybody's ever won..."

Ha ha ha. Thanks for posting those quotes. Very funny. Parsons annoys the hell out of me, continually using the same old phrases to praise contestants.

I notice from the listings there's a new Arthur Smith show on the radio tonight. I might actually have to make the effort to listen to that.

He was awesome on The Unbelievable Truth when we saw it recorded, though I'll say no more. I think both him and David Mitchell have such distinct, radio-friendly voices that listening is made so much more accessible and enjoyable.