British Comedy Guide

Bad spelling in my scripts is a form of protest Page 3

As Chaucer would write - don'th be a queynte :-)

Quote: Barbs @ March 17 2009, 1:17 PM GMT

Are you a dictionary salesman, Henry?

Laughing out loud

Quote: twit in pyjamas @ March 17 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

Umm...no.

Is that meant to be "destruction", or "distraction"? As some kind of joke, or something?

This is my first post. Yes, I de-lurked to say this. I apologise.

Welcome! An excellent first post, if I do say so myself. :)

I'm not the best at spelling, grammar my self Henry, but surely if you wish to be a writer then it stands to reason you should try to excel in the medium. The point of writing is to communicate, correct language promotes this.

Plus Aaron may well kill you.

I do agree that language changes over time but some words just should not exist, I still shudder when I think about the time I saw the word: Awesomest, on a poster. That's just plain wrong.

Quote: jacparov @ March 17 2009, 6:53 PM GMT

Awesomest, on a poster.

:D Awesomondo!

Thew fascinating thing is how careful your bad spelling is, almost like it was dleiberate.....

Thats a vary gud pint, Sooty, viry gid indood.

Mr Thurston - I've edited your first post and the title of the thread. Read my comments there. I gave up on your other posts as too hard to wade through.

As to your general post:
If you wish to write, then learn the trade. What would you say to a builder who wanted to use cream cheese as cement in your load-bearing walls? Would you accept his work or go get one who used cement? Apply those same expectations and standards in others' work to your own output. The writer's tools exist for a reason, failure to use them is laziness, not rebellion against an unfair system.

What is the point of struggling to put ideas to paper when you claim that ambiguity in your readers' minds is what you're aiming at or is a desirable quality. Would you sign a contract full of such ambiguity? Rules, language, and grammar are there to prevent confusion, ambiguity, and to assist in conveying meaning with efficiency and clarity (with notable exceptions). To hide meaning would be a backward, and not an evolutionary progressive, step.

You are not a linguistic Che Guevara. Your alternative world would be very similar to Medieval times where variant spellings were rife and confusion so great that standardisation became the way forward. Sadly, sprawling variant spellings seems to be the way the world is headed. Whereas Orwell's Doublespeak concealed meaning by condensing language to ridiculous extremes, your idea is to confound by vagueness, multiple interpretations, and tiring the eyes of the reader.

Please (PLEASE) ensure that you respect the forum rules and its users by making sure your next post(s) is / are readable. With thanks for your consideration in future posts.
:)

Quote: SlagA @ March 18 2009, 3:21 PM GMT

What would you say to a builder who wanted to use cream cheese as cement in your load-bearing walls?

Would the breeze blocks be made from some sort of cracker or bread?

I was picturing gingerbread. :P

Gingerbread and cream cheese? Food is food!

I loved the lemonade toilet water, although I don't think it was well thought out... the toilet duck keeps drinking it.

Quote: SlagA @ March 18 2009, 3:21 PM GMT

You are not a linguistic Che Guevara.

<applauds, standing>

<re-reads the original post, now with corrections>
Genius, Mr SlagA! Best laugh I've had all day.

Dan

It always makes me smile when I hear Che Guevara's name and I remember that joke from Ricky Gervais, saying his mum thought the posters were of Robert Lyndsey. :)

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 17 2009, 9:38 AM GMT

EDIT by SlagA -

What would you say to a builder who used cream cheese as cement in your load-bearing walls?

I don't know - What would you say to a builder who used cream cheese as cement in your load-bearing walls?

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 17 2009, 9:38 AM GMT

EDIT by SlagA -

Come f**k with me.

:P :P :P

Pirate

Maybe Henry's dyslexic