British Comedy Guide

The Works - seeking sketch writers! Page 3

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the interest... Just so you know there's also a facebook group which might be a good thing to join if you're on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54836174599&ref=ts

Don't worry about timing at the moment - just send your best stuff!

As to the "paying audience" sadly we're not even paying ourselves at this stage, and even the producers are working for free. We will pay the compere and director a nominal fee, but once we have paid them, the venue hire fee, technicians, box office staff and guaranteed the minimum bar spend we are already in deficit even if we sell out. We are exploring sponsorship but even with this we would pay our actors and producers a small fee first, as this is designed to giver writers an opportunity, and the producers and actors are there to facilitate this opportunity. I do hope that this seems fair. This is not a money making scheme for anyone, just a chance for writers to get their work seen in a way that isn't otherwise available to them.

All the best!

Isabel X

I'm on Faceback (oooohhhh the shame!) so I'll join your group.

I sent some stuff in the other day.

I have a good portfolio of sketches to pluck stuff from. :)

Quote: Isabel Fay @ March 16 2009, 5:29 PM GMT

As to the "paying audience" sadly we're not even paying ourselves at this stage, and even the producers are working for free. We will pay the compere and director a nominal fee, but once we have paid them, the venue hire fee, technicians, box office staff and guaranteed the minimum bar spend we are already in deficit even if we sell out. We are exploring sponsorship but even with this we would pay our actors and producers a small fee first, as this is designed to giver writers an opportunity, and the producers and actors are there to facilitate this opportunity. I do hope that this seems fair. This is not a money making scheme for anyone, just a chance for writers to get their work seen in a way that isn't otherwise available to them.

All the best!

Isabel X

Thanks for the clarifcation! :)

Sounds like a very good opportunity to get "out there."

The money doesn't bother me. I still sounds like a great opportunity to me.

Quote: earman2009 @ March 16 2009, 8:41 PM GMT

The money doesn't bother me.

You (very cheap) whore. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 16 2009, 8:48 PM GMT

You (very cheap) whore. :)

Props to Dolly for asking, at the end of the day, some people only make their money from writing. But I guess, as new writers we do need to grab the chance to showcase our writing for free if it's a exciting opportunity. It all adds to the CV!

Great opportunity.

Great opportunity

Opportunity Knocks.

I actually like being a cheap whore. :)

I'm proud to be a cheep whore!! Isabel, what's the rule regarding props? Telephones, doors, tables, hats or say a bed? Basically I've got a sketch with a bed in it and I'm looking for comfirmation that sending it to you isn't a good idea.

OH my god!! Where the f**k can we get a bed from!!!??? Does ANYONE know ANYONE, with a f**king bed?!

Call me Captain Sarcsatic.

PS. If it's funny enough, they'll build a f**king bed; if it isn't, don't send it.

I'm sure some stools with some blankets on, could substitute a bed on stage, really.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 22 2009, 7:43 PM GMT

I'm sure some stools with some blankets on, could substitute a bed on stage, really.

Dan

That's a really crap idea. ;)