British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 15

Quote: Little Mikey @ March 6 2009, 5:09 PM GMT

Am I being paranoid to wonder if my entry got lost amidst all those hundreds of other entries? Or if at the very least I slipped off some database or other?

Obviously it couldn't be the standard of my writing :D

By any chance, was your subject line: 'For attention BBC!!!! ENLARGE PENIS NOW!! SPECIAL 100% OFFER + SEX SHOW'

If so, it may have entered their spam folder by accident.

Quote: It was an accident @ March 6 2009, 5:02 PM GMT

btw, what is script night?

It's a couple of nights of 'new writing talent showcasing' up in Leeds. They run a new (themed) one every three-four months.

Newest one (running tonight and tomorrow) https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/11614

Previous threads https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/9726 https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/10191

Dan

Thanks - will have a look at those threads.

Have now put one of my failed '7 on 7' entries into critique . Got to be a first time for everything. I'd be grateful for any feedback

Green & blacks - yum!

Quote: It was an accident @ March 6 2009, 5:02 PM GMT

Can anyone suggest an emoticon for: "I think we all deserve chocolate"?

You can have one of my "throw the letter in the bin chocs" if you like:

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 6 2009, 3:47 PM GMT

Just blame the audience. :)

Thanks. Sadly, the first rule of stand-up: it's never the audience's fault.

Looks like my 7-7 application has reached its sell-by date. Received this email on March 3rd, but haven't heard anything since.

Dear Ross,
Many thanks for your sketch submissions.
We have received them and will be in touch in due course.
BBC writersroom

It's not the grief that gets you , it's the hope. Mind you I think there's probably been a flurry of emails flying out from the Beeb to applicants - I sent mine two hours before deadline - so maybe the knack is to get them well in before the hammer falls.

Well, no -- trust me, I got mine in *very* early, have had the email above and, like you, have heard nothing since.

Dan

Quote: Anorak @ March 6 2009, 8:29 PM GMT

Thanks. Sadly, the first rule of stand-up: it's never the audience's fault.

What if they spike your drink beforehand and then talk and text throughout your entire set? :)

My first rule is plan a nice outfit and boots you can actually walk in. :)

Now that I look at your picture, your face is familiar Eddie.

Sent some sketches to 7 on 7. Wrote six but weren't sure which 3 were best. So decided to send 3 using my name and 3 using my girlfriend's name. My ones were rejected out of hand whilst the ones I sent through the girlfriend got the encouraging 'your submission in particular shows promise and we'd love you to submit any ideas....'

Don't know what this says about my judgement as the 3 I sent through myself I thought were better. It's great that I got an encouraging reply just going to have to pretend I'm a woman for a bit. Could be interesting.

Mmm. Dunno. Being female didn't help me any. Still got the generic rejection. But it seems like the fancy rejection doesn't really offer much more. There aren't any special emails to send stuff to. They still have to check the boards. Your experience makes the two types of letters seem totally random now. Maybe the purpose of the two types was to keep it interesting. A variety pack of failure, with two delicious types of despair! ;)

Ahem, *three* types...

Dan

Quote: Anorak @ March 8 2009, 9:06 PM GMT

Now that I look at your picture, your face is familiar Eddie.

Eddie Large?

well I'm a girl, I've had my sketches laughed at (in a funny way not a blimey that's so crap way), and I got the worst rejection of the lot. So if you're saying it's biased towards women, where does that leave me? So rubbish that they couldn't even positively discriminate enough to send me a 'you weren't that bad' message? It's just not worth thinking that way. Rejection's part of the business isn't it.

I don't think Yellow 586 is saying his submission under his girlfriend's name was better received because they believed they were written by a woman - rather that he was surprised their judgment was so different to his own.