British Comedy Guide

7 on 7 Loser

This got me absolutely nowhere.

(PETER MANDELSON AND RICHARD BRANSON DISCUSS THE SELLING OFF OF THE ROYAL MAIL.)

F/X:SOUND OF DRINKS BEING POURED.

MANDELSON:
So, Richard, you want to buy the 30% share in the Royal Mail.

BRANSON:
30%. I want to buy all of the Royal Mail.

MANDELSTON:
You won't be allowed to re-badge it as Virgin Mail, you know.

BRANSON:
Royal Mail is fine. I'm pretty much royalty, anyway.

MANDELSTON:
That's brilliant, then. We can use the money to bail out the banks and shore up the Royal Mail pension fund.

BRANSON:
You'd better stuff an extra 20 million pounds in the pension fund for me. I'll want a nice pension out of it when it all goes tits up.

MANDELSTON:
I may have some problems getting this past Parliament. Some people think of you as a shameless self- publicist.

BRANSON:
(innocent) Me?

MANDELSTON:
So, I can assure Parliament that you aren't buying the Royal Mail simply for self-aggrandisement and to enhance your public profile.

BRANSON:
I just want to give the people of Great Britain the best possible postal service.

MANDELSTON:
What are you doing? Why do you keep turning your face left to right in that mirror?

BRANSON:
I'm looking at my profiles. What do you think? Should I be looking to the left or to the right on the new Royal Mail stamps?

I'm a bit baffled - sent some sketches in to Writers' Room for that 7-7 thingy - got an email saying they'd get back shortly - but haven't heard anything as yet - their workshop is on the 9th March - why are they cutting it so fine for a yea or a nay?

Quote: ross mcculloch @ March 7 2009, 12:00 PM GMT

I'm a bit baffled - sent some sketches in to Writers' Room for that 7-7 thingy - got an email saying they'd get back shortly - but haven't heard anything as yet - their workshop is on the 9th March - why are they cutting it so fine for a yea or a nay?

Ross, if you ain't heard I'm guessing you ain't in. Welcome to the club.

Didn't really work for me Jonny. sorry.

I can't see them wanting to have to impersonate such highly recognizable voices unless the sketch is really good. I liked the stamp joke but that was about it.

Hi Johnny

Didn't really work for me either, I'm afraid. Though I do like the idea about the Richard Branson stamps for a quickie. Maybe adapt for that?

Dan