British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 13

I've still not heard a peep either.

Quote: Flaner @ March 6 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

"Dear writers,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - we had hundreds and hundreds of submissions for the "7 on 7" Masterclass with David Mitchell for only a handful of places.

I regret to inform you though that in this instance your application wasn't successful, but thank you sending your sketches in.

All the best,
Hannah
BBC writersroom"

I'd rather have recieved an email from a rich Nigerian benefactor than this.

Is that the rejection letter? It's a bit 'don't ever darken our door again' if you don't mind me saying!

Were BBC writersroom in charge of this whole thing, or were they working in tandem with a producer person from Radio Entertainment to wade through the sketches? If it's the former, then I wouldn't be too bothered about receiving an e-mail like that.

Also, will this show be open to send stuff to? I've kind of arrived late to all this....

I haven't got anything at all either. Do they hate me *so* much?

Still, all I wanted to know was whether this show would be open doors to everyone whilst it's running and it seems it is, so sounds like it's still a good opportunity even if we got nowhere at this stage.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 6 2009, 2:37 PM GMT

I haven't got anything at all either. Do they hate me *so* much?

Still, all I wanted to know was whether this show would be open doors to everyone whilst it's running and it seems it is, so sounds like it's still a good opportunity even if we got nowhere at this stage.

Dan

Definitely. :)

I am assuming you are replying to the second part of my post!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 6 2009, 2:39 PM GMT

I am assuming you are replying to the second part of my post!

Dan

Er,....yes. Whistling nnocently

(You're on the hate list with me. It works by association - like McCarthy-ism)

Great. Now I'm hated by osmosis, as well as the big can of hate I generated all by myself...

Dan

Yes, but it would be nice if they were going to only ask for sketches from writers who had entered the competition, otherwise what was the point of entering? Just to win a place on the workshop? Much as I like David Mitchell, I'm not sure that would be incentive enough for me.

I'm trying to remember whether I slept with Hannah, and didn't ring her back the next day.

....maybe that is why she is giving me the cold (automated) shoulder.

Quote: Little Mikey @ March 6 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

Yes, but it would be nice if they were going to only ask for sketches from writers who had entered the competition, otherwise what was the point of entering? Just to win a place on the workshop? Much as I like David Mitchell, I'm not sure that would be incentive enough for me.

I think the workshop will be good and all that, but now the beeb don't run the New Talent scheme I suppose they have to seem to be encouraging new talent in other ways?

Writing posts like this is probably why I'm on the blacklist lol.

I'll edit it later. :)

Quote: Flaner @ March 6 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

"Dear writers,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - we had hundreds and hundreds of submissions for the "7 on 7" Masterclass with David Mitchell for only a handful of places.

I regret to inform you though that in this instance your application wasn't successful, but thank you sending your sketches in.

All the best,
Hannah
BBC writersroom"

I'd rather have recieved an email from a rich Nigerian benefactor than this.

Yep. That's the one I got. So I guess the first kind of rejection, is like "No, thank you we don't find you attractive." And the second is a swift kick in the crotch. And no letter at all, is a kick in the crotch and getting maced while you are curled up in pain on the sidewalk. Bollock Busting C..Ts. Glad I'm not bitter :|

I'm not sure ... where were you in the summer of '78?

Oh, I'm safe. I was a little boy. :P

But seriously....

Presumably, it'll still be an open door show, with their in-house writers and masterclass writers taking priority.

So there's still a good chance of getting stuff in every week. :)

Quote: Mikey J @ March 6 2009, 3:05 PM GMT

Oh, I'm safe. I was a little boy. :P

But seriously....

Presumably, it'll still be an open door show, with their in-house writers and masterclass writers taking priority.

So there's still a good chance of getting stuff in every week. :)

Yeah, but my details are now on the 'approach with extreme caution: dodgy writer' pile.

Quote: Little Mikey @ March 6 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

David's one of my favorite people. I would loved to have been in that class. I couldn't have gone anyway, though. Still, it would have been nice to be asked. Or maybe it would have been more frustrating. I don't know, I feel really down :(

Oh dear Little Jersey Devil - don't let it get you down. Even the first Harry Potter novel was rejected twelve times by different publishers, and look what happened to that!