British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 12

Just got this email from them.

Dear writers,

Thank you for your submission to 7 on 7.
I regret to inform you that you didn't get a place on the Masterclass with David Mitchell.
We had hundreds and hundreds of entrants for only a handful of places so don't be disheartened that you didn't make it in this instance.

In fact, the reason we're writing to you especially is because we particularly thought your submission stood out and wanted not only to encourage you to keep going with your writing but also that we'll be in touch to ask you to submit more when "7 on 7" starts production properly in a month or so.

Keep an eye out for notifications on the Writer's Room website.

All the best with things in the meantime,
Hannah
BBC writersroom

I'm guessing we'll all get this one?

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ March 6 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

Something very similar, yes. :)

Snap...

Yep. I do received the email.

ah well.

How odd. I didn't get this. Nor did I get the "many thanks" e-mail earlier - just the standard BBC auto-reply when I submitted.

Strange, but I'm sure you'll receive an email eventually.

And,.... are you my lovechild? Rolling eyes

I'm not sure ... where were you in the summer of '78?

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ March 6 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

I got a shorter version. They must have really hated my stuff!

I've just got an email saying that my sketches were reject. Still, at least I know now.

I got an email saying 'I want to tickle your balls and call you Malcolm.' but I'm not sure it was from the BBC. No, I got the stand out submission, please try again one. The thing is they say look at the writersroom for the show - isn't this open to everyone? ie we don't seem to have progressed. Oh well.

"Dear writers,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - we had hundreds and hundreds of submissions for the "7 on 7" Masterclass with David Mitchell for only a handful of places.

I regret to inform you though that in this instance your application wasn't successful, but thank you sending your sketches in.

All the best,
Hannah
BBC writersroom"

I'd rather have recieved an email from a rich Nigerian benefactor than this.

So it seems there were two types of rejection - though anyone can still submit when the show airs anyway. :)

Quote: Flaner @ March 6 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

"Dear writers,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - we had hundreds and hundreds of submissions for the "7 on 7" Masterclass with David Mitchell for only a handful of places.

I regret to inform you though that in this instance your application wasn't successful, but thank you sending your sketches in.

All the best,
Hannah
BBC writersroom"

I'd rather have recieved an email from a rich Nigerian benefactor than this.

I also got this one.

Not even one of the specials!

I imagine it's because mine were so good it would actualy embarrass the entire comedy department at the BBC if they met me due to overwhelming feelings of inferiority.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 6 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

So it seems there were two types of rejection - though anyone can still submit when the show airs anyway. :)

All entries are equal, but some entries are more equal than others.

I haven't had anything at all. Not a dicky bird. That must make me the lowest of the low.