British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 9

Quote: Timbo @ March 1 2009, 1:24 PM GMT

I would post mine in Critique but frankly they were a bit crap.

I'm not posting mine on critique either.
& I'll thank everyone if they never mention the three of them again.

Still, It's always worth giving it a go isn't it ?

For what it's worth I just got this:
Many thanks for your sketch submissions.
We have received them and will be in touch in due course.
BBC writersroom

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ March 2 2009, 11:23 AM GMT

BBC writersroom

Well that's more than I got. I had to make do with the auto-reply and a weekend wondering if they actually even saw my email among the hundreds of enquiries sent to the writersroom address.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ March 2 2009, 11:23 AM GMT

BBC writersroom

Yeah I also got that last week. The fact that they say they will be in touch in due course, hopefully means they contact you either way, whether you made it or not and not just leave you in the lurch.

Well that's more than I got. I had to make do with the auto-reply and a weekend wondering if they actually even saw my email among the hundreds of enquiries sent to the writersroom address.

Yeah, we all got that very vague auto-reply.

Then the "personal - we'll be in touch" email throughout has been sent to people last week/this week, presumably as they sift through them, which means that you should get your "personal email" soon.
As I sent my submissions about 10 days before the deadline, I got my "personal - we'll be in touch" email midweek last week.

They'll send a generic rejection to most of us, just to stop us pestering the writersroom with questions about how well we did.

Yeah, I just got a "Many thanks" response. Nice to know someone's actually reading them, although sending an e-mail like that seems a little mean. I got all excited thinking it was an official judgement....

Quote: Hennell @ March 2 2009, 5:55 PM GMT

Yeah, I just got a "Many thanks" response. Nice to know someone's actually reading them, although sending an e-mail like that seems a little mean. I got all excited thinking it was an official judgement....

I just got one of those - thought it was the actual verdict email and so did my special please-accept-me ritual for no reason. Only got two fingers left now.

Has anyone heard any news this yet? Given that the workshop is on Monday, you'd think they'd have to get in touch pretty snappily. Or do you think they'll postpone?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ March 3 2009, 2:56 PM GMT

Did my special please-accept-me ritual for no reason. Only got two fingers left now.

You realise now you'll either have to forgo the ritual when the real message arrives or learn how to write with no fingers...

I echo Mikey; guesses on when we might get an answer?

Dunno. I submitted mine very quickly.
I didn't have to write anything especially for it as I had my portfolio to pluck from.

But of course.... in theory.... this should mean ..... in theory of course....

that....

theoretically....

I should be one of the first to hear back. (GULP)

But surely they'll give us notice.
Unless that's another test.
To see if we can bugger off up to London on a moment's notice.

I'm ok as I'm self employed, but people with jobs will need to give notice to employers.

>Unless that's another test.

You make it sound like a crap reality show;

"5 Tasks - each more tiresome then the last:
First they write 3 sketches, then the 'fastest first' to London, next: 180 gags on the topic of the credit crunch, and then a 30 minute dash to invent a classic comedy character. Finally, they'll have just 10 seconds to make a small baby laugh, after which they could become ... moderately further on in their comedy writing career.
"

:P lol

You could have some writers crying "But it's my dream. It's what I've always wanted."

"I'm sorry. I'm going to have to let you go. You're going home."

Maybe David Mitchell has pulled out and they're too scared to say anything.

More likely of course is that they've already told the people they want to come along on Monday and the rest of us have just heard nothing.

Well, it's quite short notice now, tbh. Can everyone get Monday off this late? ;)

Dan