British Comedy Guide

Watson's Wind Up - oneliners & short sketches. Page 3

It was the Billy Connolly one

Well done boys. Good sketches, Mikey boy ;)

Nowt on for me this week. Will have to continue my relentless barrage.

Dan

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ February 27 2009, 9:17 PM GMT

It was the Billy Connolly one

Ah I remember that one now!

Yes, it's on iPlayer now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hr7m7/Watsons_WindUp_Series_3_Episode_4/

Also. No. No emails. No word. Yet.
I guess they'll be in touch.

I got an email and my sketch on. Well done guys. I liked the RBS one, nice one!

Just listened to it.

The pointless journeys one was excellent Mikey.

Thanks. :)

What sketch was yours, Contains Nuts?

Mikey, if you wrote the "How much will you lend us sketch" congrats - loved that one. Don't think I heard the Pointless journeys (Was in and out the room when it was on - I'll try to listen out for it on iPlayer)

My thing was the 'slumdog kids adopted by Angela Jolie' line, don't think I got anything else on.

I'm assuming the e-mail responses is for stuff that's funny but might not make it on (due to topic already covered / too long / slightly inappropriate etc). You don't really need to respond to successful submissions; but you want to encourage your 'nearly there' material. Of course this is just a theory based on almost nothing but it makes sense to me.

Quote: Mikey J @ February 28 2009, 6:13 PM GMT

Thanks. :)

What sketch was yours, Contains Nuts?

Hitler's plans for Blackpool.

Yes, Hennell, that was the one.

My thing was the 'slumdog kids adopted by Angela Jolie' line, don't think I got anything else on.

Oh yeah. lol. :) Wasn't that put into that "awards ceremony" sketch?

Hitler's plans for Blackpool.

Yeah, that was funny. I didn't recall that one at first. But... my girlfriend has just informed me that it was that one where it ended with "at least he succeeded in something." lol :P

Mind you, sometimes those really broad Scottish accents made for difficult hearing sometimes, what with me being a (cough!) Southerner.

I'm assuming the e-mail responses is for stuff that's funny but might not make it on (due to topic already covered / too long / slightly inappropriate etc). You don't really need to respond to successful submissions; but you want to encourage your 'nearly there' material. Of course this is just a theory based on almost nothing but it makes sense to me.

As the show gets recorded at 12:30pm Friday and then goes out at 6:10pm that evening, I'm assuming that Philip doesn't tell anyone that they're "in" as even he won't know until the final edit.

My guess is that he records much more than half hour of material, (in front of an audience) sees which stuff gets the best laughs, and/or balances out the news stories, (coz he MUST get lots of jokes about the same news stories, but can only really use one per story) then cuts it down to the half hour.

Bare in mind however that presumably their "in-house" writers will take priority and that only a certain amount of airtime will be for us non-comms ....

....so don't be dishearted if any of you don't get stuff in, but on the other hand, don't give up.

So anyone else send stuff in for this weeks? I found it harder this time for some reason - ended up with 50% of my one liners about Gordon Brown in America and couldn't think of many sketches. Still, I'm kinda confident something will get used... hopefully.

Edit - My later then usual submission has apparently meant someone else stole my (highly original) 'Ant and Dec' gag. Anyone want to own up as the time-travelling comedy thief? ;)

Not me! I sent stuff (again) but heard nothing (again).

Dan

I sent in a few, but I think I failed to better the sketches that got in last week.

So I'm not holding my breath.

But then again, you never know.

I wouldn't worry too much. Philip told me MOST stuff is written by his in-house team, not leaving much airtime for non-comms.
The selection process is very very ruthless.

Quote: swerytd @ March 5 2009, 1:34 PM GMT

Dan

Me too!

I guess we'll all be gathered round our satellite systems to listen to the lastest show tomorrow.
(hey, remember the 20th century when we listened with radios?)