British Comedy Guide

Watson's Wind Up - oneliners & short sketches.

The original thread for this got rather buried, and as this is the 'opportunities' forum I figured I'd re-mention it here.

Watson's Wind Up - Scottish topical radio show is accepting oneliners & quickie sketches based on the weeks news.

Submit material by Thursdays 12 noon to philipdiffer@comedyunit.co.uk. (He has confirmed he is accepting material) - show runs every week till end of April.

If you're not in Scotland BBC iPlayer offers each show on catch-up - they seem to like the very short 2/3 line quickie sketch - and have a fairly strong focus on the weeks UK/Scottish news.

Anyone had any success with this before?

I have a few times, good to know its back!

Yeah,

I've had stuff on this show over the past few years. The Comedy Unit are good guys and often receptive to new writers in my experience.

I've just sent some stuff off this week - My first try so we will see.

Philip said to me that it's the "newslines" he'd like too. You know, the jokey headlines, based on an actual event.

Quote: Mikey J @ February 19 2009, 4:07 PM GMT

Phil said to me that it's the "newslines" he'd like too. You know, the jokey headlines, based on an actual event.

Can you give us an example Mikey?

I'm guessing it's something like

"Police station robbed of toilets, cops have nothing to go on,"

But topical.

So we could have

Helicopter goes down in North Sea, Mermaid ecstatic.

But something actually funny!!! Errr

They should really read as if a newsreader is talking.
First line should set up the news story.
Second line is the gag.

Like these examples:

Mail carrier firm DHL is considering plans to close a distribution depot in Dumfries.
So if you're working there today, it's guaranteed that you'll be unemployed by 10:00AM tomorrow morning.

Edinburgh Airport is due to have a 40m makeover. The painter and decorator who won the contract told us it will take (SUCKS IN THROUGH TEETH) two weeks.
Celebrity style guru Gok Wan will also assist with the airport's makeover, claiming that, once the work has been completed, it will look ten years younger.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be Scottish news.
UK news is covered.

It's best to listen to the show first on iPlayer.

And BUGGER! I missed the 12.00 noon deadline as I keep thinking today is Wednesday!

Listen to the show its on iPlayer.

If iPlayer worked from work, I'd have listened and sent some stuff in this morning. Oh well, next week will do.

Just listened to the current episode, and I had a gag in they'd turned into a short sketch, about jumpers on the Skye bridge (18.52 on iPlayer). Well chuffed.

Shows it's definitely worth listening, because they didn't tell me it was on in advance, though Phil Differ had sent me an encouraging email the previous week.

Well done John!
Mine didn't make it, maybe next week!

Nice one John - I actually remember your joke, kinda terrible pun I enjoy.

I also got one on this week - Girl at Doctors (About 12.something if we're waving around timecodes) - also well pleased (If annoyed iPlayer cuts out before the credits).

Well done guys.

I missed the deadline this week.
Don't know if they used anything of mine I'd sent in the other week.

Heading to iPlayer now to check.