British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 19

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 9 2009, 8:19 AM GMT

I enjoyed "The Leicester Comedy Festival 2009" on BBC Radio 7 last night. Included some great performances, such as Count Arthur Strong and Hans Teeuwen.

Yeah, it was fun. I'd not heard Hans Teeuwen before... very different. Henry Packer reminded me a lot of Michael McIntyre... same delivery, same type of jokes - but he needs to up his gag count.

I'd rather have had Jason Byrne back as compare though, he has been ace in previous years. Great audience interaction. The 2007 festival (available on the iPlayer till Thursday night) was a particularly good line-up (Byrne front of house and comics including Russell Howard, Shappi Khorsandi, Count Arthur Strong, Arnab Chanda and Rhod Gilbert).

Changing the subject...

Has anyone else been listening to the variable quality Broken Arts? The reason I ask is I've got a nagging feeling they've accidently repeated a couple of sketches in this latest episode (the Gilbert and Sullivan one and the resident laugher one?)... or maybe I'm just imagining it?

Quote: Mark @ February 11 2009, 12:14 PM GMT

Has anyone else been listening to the variable quality Broken Arts? The reason I ask is I've got a nagging feeling they've accidently repeated a couple of sketches in this latest episode (the Gilbert and Sullivan one and the resident laugher one?)... or maybe I'm just imagining it?

I thought the Gilbert and Sullivan stuff on football and The X Factor had been on before, but they're so repetitive anyway, I couldn't be sure. Overall, last night's was the worst of the series thus far, and even the audience there didn't seem to laugh much. Definitely an edition for the tumbleweeds.

Yes, I also thought I'd heard the G&S bit in a previous episode. Bizarre. They seem very pleased with the G&S sketches but it is the same gag every week isn't it? I liked some bits, the local arts news segment and the digitised voice sketch but G&S less so.

On tonight's edition of The News Quiz they played "My Lovely Horse" from Father Ted. Do you think there was a mix-up between Channel 4 and Radio 4?

My absolute favourite is 'Hut 33'. I also enjoy 'The Castle' and 'Ed Reardon's' week. Did anyone see 'We Need Answers' on BBC Four last night? Has this been developed from radio?

Just a quick reminder that the legend that is Harry Shearer is guest on Stephen Merchant's 6 Music show today.

When is the new series of Spats on - anybody know?

I'm not aware when Spats is returning sadly. I do think tickets have been released for recordings yet.

For updates: https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/spats/

I'm really enjoying this new series of Just A Minute. They've brought a lot of new people onto it and it's really rejuvinated it.

Yes, this series has been good and it appears it will get better - next week David Mitchell is a guest.

I haven't been a huge fan of Broken Arts, but I thought last nights was the best of the bunch so far. The Alan Bennet monologuers were inspired, especially the one where he visited a rave with his mum. :D

Just finished listening to Clare in the Community. A great little sitcom that knows exactly what it's doing, with strong writing and a good cast. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Yes it is a great show.

In other news, tickets for the third series of 4 Stands Up are now available. Chris Addison is hosting the new series.

Quote: chipolata @ February 18 2009, 9:55 AM GMT

I haven't been a huge fan of Broken Arts, but I thought last nights was the best of the bunch so far. The Alan Bennet monologuers were inspired, especially the one where he visited a rave with his mum. :D

:) The Alan Bennett bit was the best section of the series.

The rest of it has been pretty terrible. The first time I listened, I didn't even realise there was an audience until they finally broke their silence after about 15 minutes.