British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,756

Quote: Gavin @ January 20 2009, 8:30 PM GMT

Nope. Thats vague as humanly possible. PM if you want. I won't knick your idea I have to many sttuff to do as it is.

I've been making all the models in 3DS Max - that's the only downside as I'm shit with stuff like that - never was artistic.

Gav if you know someone that might be up for modeling a few characters and things let me know mate.

As for the game itself, I sound like such a twat but I'm so reluctant to give the idea away. I really hope you don't take that personally.
I guess though that that doesn't help you answer my question at all :(

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 8:37 PM GMT

Can you program?
If so, choose an API, DirectX or OpenGl, get an idea, and go for it!

No, is that a requirement. ;)
I know some basic stuff but that's it.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:41 PM GMT

http://www.cms.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate/GT.asp

Thanks.

The thing is I need it to be playable online to avoid earning zilch due to people just downloading it off torrents.
But I need to know if it's gonna be worth the trouble for a small project. I thought someone might have a basic idea.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 20 2009, 8:46 PM GMT

No, is that a requirement. ;)
I know some basic stuff but that's it.

Well if you have a good idea and can model in 3D then let me know matey and we'll talk. I'll take care of all the programming.

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 8:50 PM GMT

The thing is I need it to be playable online to avoid earning zilch due to people just downloading it off torrents.
But I need to know if it's gonna be worth the trouble for a small project. I thought someone might have a basic idea.

Well, I have a server which I pay around £50pm for, depending on exchange rates. But you'd really need someone techy to set things up and get the server all running in order to support it, and other such things that I don't understand.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:41 PM GMT

http://www.cms.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate/GT.asp

I don't think I have the entry requirements. Oh well.

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 8:50 PM GMT

Well if you have a good idea and can model in 3D then let me know matey and we'll talk. I'll take care of all the programming.

I'm sure I could come up with an idea. 3D modeling? No. But I no a man who can.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 20 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

I don't think I have the entry requirements. Oh well.

Heh, believe me, the entry requirements mean bugger all. Knowing what some of the people on those courses are like, I have no doubt that you'd be able to get in.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:52 PM GMT

Well, I have a server which I pay around £50pm for, depending on exchange rates. But you'd really need someone techy to set things up and get the server all running in order to support it, and other such things that I don't understand.

Oh crappers, sounds like it's gonna cost a bomb :(
So depressing and such a shame, but I may have to stop half way through cos it sounds like it'll be hard to recover all these costs.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 20 2009, 8:54 PM GMT

I'm sure I could come up with an idea. 3D modeling? No. But I no a man who can.

Sounds like it could be the birth of a small development company :D

Not sure what percentage the ideas man should get though :P

Look, why not build it as a standalone game? If it's a good idea, then people would buy it. There are plenty that don't know how to download, or don't want to. At very least you'd be able to tell if it's a good idea that people want to play. If it is, then you have the confidence - and hopefully a bit of the capital - to go further and expand it.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:55 PM GMT

Heh, believe me, the entry requirements mean bugger all. Knowing what some of the people on those courses are like, I have no doubt that you'd be able to get in.

:D

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

Sounds like it could be the birth of a small development company :D

Not sure what percentage the ideas man should get though :P

It's all about the ideas baby! No idea, no game! ;)

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

Look, why not build it as a standalone game? If it's a good idea, then people would buy it. There are plenty that don't know how to download, or don't want to. At very least you'd be able to tell if it's a good idea that people want to play. If it is, then you have the confidence - and hopefully a bit of the capital - to go further and expand it.

Or make it for the love of gaming and give it away. You might get picked up by these sort of people.

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

That might be the only choice I have by the looks of things. The trouble is I suspect most games sell now because people want to play them online and can't do that with a cracked version (on most!)
It's just that, what if sales figures look really bad, but in reality a shit load of people are playing the game, just that there's no way of knowing how many have downloaded a cracked copy.
I would be selling it very cheaply though, so hopefully that might make some people decide to buy it and get tech support etc etc.

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 9:04 PM GMT

That might be the only choice I have by the looks of things. The trouble is I suspect most games sell now because people want to play them online and can't do that with a cracked version (on most!)
It's just that, what if sales figures look really bad, but in reality a shit load of people are playing the game, just that there's no way of knowing how many have downloaded a cracked copy.
I would be selling it very cheaply though, so hopefully that might make some people decide to buy it and get tech support etc etc.

I suppose you could ... No, I dunno. I'm not into the mentality of gamers. I'm sure that there'd be some way to work it out though.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 20 2009, 9:02 PM GMT

It's all about the ideas baby! No idea, no game! ;)

That is definitely true! The idea is definitely AT LEAST worth 1% :D

Or make it for the love of gaming and give it away. You might get picked up by these sort of people.

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/

Well I planned to sell it extremely cheap, but there is so so much work involved I would like at least something for all that time and trouble.
I might get picked up, but there's a huge chance I might not :(

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 9:04 PM GMT

You could release it on (as yet) an un-hackable system. PS3? Through the Playstation Store.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 9:08 PM GMT

I suppose you could ... No, I dunno. I'm not into the mentality of gamers. I'm sure that there'd be some way to work it out though.

I really hope so, I don't want to give up on this.
Still plenty of time to think about it.
Thanks for your help matey pip.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 20 2009, 9:10 PM GMT

You could release it on (as yet) an un-hackable system. PS3? Through the Playstation Store.

Hmmm, now that's an interesting thought. So there are no cracked games on PS3? Didn't actually know that.

Quote: Moonstone @ January 20 2009, 8:43 PM GMT

I've been making all the models in 3DS Max - that's the only downside as I'm shit with stuff like that - never was artistic.

Gav if you know someone that might be up for modeling a few characters and things let me know mate.

As for the game itself, I sound like such a twat but I'm so reluctant to give the idea away. I really hope you don't take that personally.
I guess though that that doesn't help you answer my question at all :(

what v 3D max?