British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 17

I think Sylvia was talking about female stand-up comedians. I don't think anyone would argue that there's not lots of good female comedians on TV (most BBC/ITV sketch shows seem to be female led at the moment), but there really aren't that many female stand-ups. The guest list of panel shows demonstrate as much.

Broken Arts last night was another so-so show. Nothing on it seems to gel. I still think they'd be better off if it reflected the current arts scene more, rather than peddling pretty tired old stuff about George Lucas and Gilbert and Sullivan (funny for one sketch, but annoying if they're going to be popping up every week).

Quote: Mark @ January 20 2009, 3:44 PM GMT

I think Sylvia was talking about female stand-up comedians. I don't think anyone would argue that there's not lots of good female comedians on TV (most BBC/ITV sketch shows seem to be female led at the moment), but there really aren't that many female stand-ups. The guest list of panel shows demonstrate as much.

Although to be fair, there is less stand up on TV than on radio. Stand up never seems to translate that well to the small screen.

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2009, 10:26 AM GMT

Broken Arts last night was another so-so show. Nothing on it seems to gel. I still think they'd be better off if it reflected the current arts scene more, rather than peddling pretty tired old stuff about George Lucas and Gilbert and Sullivan (funny for one sketch, but annoying if they're going to be popping up every week).

Perpare to be annoyed then, it looks like they are appearing in every edition.

Thank you Mark - that's what I really meant to say! It's those panel type shows on the radio which just seem to have men on them - albeit very funny and entertaining, I'm not disputing about the quality.

Perhaps I just watch too much Dave (sorry, I know, getting off the subject of the thread)

Anyone hear the Will Smith show last night? I thought it was amusing. Poor Will getting ripped off by the Girlfriend. And the Godfather wanting his wife back just to keep the mistress happy.

Heard Broken Arts too - very typical R4 show. I thought that was good too. I must really lead a sheltered life.

Did anyone go to the recording of Elvenquest yesterday? I had tickets, but couldn't go, so I passed them on. It's a new show for R4. Should this bit go into the future radio comedy thread?

Quote: Sylvia @ January 22 2009, 11:58 AM GMT

Anyone hear the Will Smith show last night? I thought it was amusing. Poor Will getting ripped off by the Girlfriend. And the Godfather wanting his wife back just to keep the mistress happy.

Heard Broken Arts too - very typical R4 show. I thought that was good too. I must really lead a sheltered life.

I heard this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. (Typically it was the final episode!) It reminded me of Milton Jones or Not Going Out in that is was silly gag after silly gag with the jokes almost dictating what plot there was. The eBay girlfriend and the mistress were hilarious highlights!

I heard BA too for the first time but was less impressed and kept drifting away to do other things.

I know it's not quite 'current' anymore, but I've got quiiite behind on my radio shows - currently listening to Cabin Pressure, and absolutely loving it. Really very funny. I don't recall having seen any news of a second series, but I'm hoping that there will be one. :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 23 2009, 12:50 PM GMT

I know it's not quite 'current' anymore, but I've got quiiite behind on my radio shows - currently listening to Cabin Pressure, and absolutely loving it. Really very funny. I don't recall having seen any news of a second series, but I'm hoping that there will be one. :)

Yay! Cabin Pressure got my vote for best radio sitcom last year.

I wish I'd heard it in order to vote!

Slacker! It was so much funnier than the Adams thing what won that category, methinks.

I thought last nights Broken Arts was the best so far. The Nicolas Lyndhurst cyclops joke made me laugh out loud, and I liked the "misery memoirs" bit (although it did feel like satire ten years too late).

Just listened to Mouth Trap -- okay. Not great, but not too bad.

That is all.

Dan

Bizarrely, I quite enjoyed today's Count Arthur Strong. It seemed more action-packed than usual. Like an episode of 24.

Went to the recording of episodes 3&4 of elvenquest last night - your typical 6.30 on R4 comedy with the usual nob joke count. Quite amusing, really. Kevin Eldon and Alistair McGowan on good form, but all good stuff. I think it'll be on Tuesdays at 6.30 from towards the end of Feb. Interesting to see Anil Gupta in action as both writer and producer.

I've just listened to Justin Moorhouse's radio show. It was great - really enjoyable, especially the scene on the Eiffel Tower.

I enjoyed Nick Mohammed In Quarters last night. There was nothing massively original about it, and some of the situations seemed straight out of the radio comedy cliche book, but he did it very well. I particularly enjoyed the job interview sketch.

Less impressed with The Correspondent. It just doesn't gel for me.