British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 16

I enjoyed tonight's edition of The News Quiz for good reason. A cutting I had sent in got read out! I sent it in under my real name (Ian Dunn). For those who missed the show, my cutting is the second one in the show. Here is the original story.

Well done Ian! The News Quiz is a very cool show to get your name on!

Quote: Griff @ January 9 2009, 7:33 PM GMT

Well done Ian! The News Quiz is a very cool show to get your name on!

Thanks Griff. Pleased

Quote: chipolata @ January 7 2009, 12:06 PM GMT

Just listened to Count Arthur Strong and I'm afraid to say its popularity still mystifies me. It's a likeable enough show to pass the time with, but the comedy seems to derive almost totally from Arthur's verbal dyspraxia. There are no other dimensions to it.

Similar to another great love of mine . . Quo

It's either the most fun you can have with your clothes on or you just don't get it !

Corsets for horses, I mean corsets for courses, oh sod it, horses for corsets for crying out loud !

:D

Quote: chipolata @ January 7 2009, 12:06 PM GMT

Just listened to Count Arthur Strong and I'm afraid to say its popularity still mystifies me. It's a likeable enough show to pass the time with, but the comedy seems to derive almost totally from Arthur's verbal dyspraxia. There are no other dimensions to it.

Each to their own I suppose. The sitcom is much more than just spoonerisms though, it's got clever plotting and such like too IMHO. For example, the way they handled the 'reveal' that it was Arthur who'd clearly placed that bucket there was excellent.

If I was looking for negatives in the comedy though, I guess I'd pick on the fact it doesn't have a big enough cast. The three in the ensemble have too many roles to play and thus many characters sound like each other.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 9 2009, 7:30 PM GMT

I enjoyed tonight's edition of The News Quiz for good reason. A cutting I had sent in got read out!

This is just legendary. I'd love to get a cutting on. I better start sending stuff in!

Quote: Mark @ January 10 2009, 12:21 PM GMT

Each to their own I suppose.

I recognise that I'm in the minority on this show. A lot of people really love it, it just leaves me slightly non-plussed. That said, I do find myself listening to it regularly, so it must be doing something right.

Broken Arts last night was good but not great. A lot of "smile ryely" moments, but no real laugh out loud stuff. It reminded me an awful lot of Look Away Now, only with the arts rather than sports. And since I assume it's recorded pretty close to transmission, I wish they'd dealt with current ongoing arts stories.

Today's Arthur Strong was better than the first. More focussed. I just wish they'd take a few more risks with the show. Push the character a little.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2009, 9:48 AM GMT

A lot of "smile ryely" moments

You're obsessed with bread aren't you?

Dan

I've just listened to last week's Just a Minute and thought it was a particularly good episode. Graham Norton was brilliant, Shappi Khorsandi is really good and Paul Merton is much funnier and sharper on this than he is on HIGNFY any more.

He'd have to be. Can't fall back on lowering his eyebrows to a confused frown in order to get laughs on the radio.

Quote: JuliaC @ January 18 2009, 1:52 PM GMT

Shappi Khorsandi is really good

I like the fact that there's more to her than just her ethnicity (as opposed to say Omid Dyjalli). She's quite hot as well (as opposed to Omid Dyjalli).

Quote: JuliaC @ January 18 2009, 1:52 PM GMT

Shappi Khorsandi is really good

Yes, I'd agree with that statement too. She's starting to get some bigger gigs now (e.g. Live At The Apollo) - hope her exposure continues to grow as there's not enough good female stand-ups at the moment (take the latest series of Live At The Apollo as an example: 13 men, 2 women).

Oh Ian - am very jealous - my cutting never got read out on the News Quiz! And I keep seeing Jeremy Hardy out and about in Streatham! Too shy to say hello, however. Afraid he might tell me to get lost!

Am getting rather fed up with the lack of female comedians on TV. Not that the males aren't any good - they're fab - but where are the females? We do make up over 50% of the population!
At least on the radio there are a few - Laura Solon's recent show was quite hilarious.

Quote: Sylvia @ January 19 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

Am getting rather fed up with the lack of female comedians on TV. Not that the males aren't any good - they're fab - but where are the females? We do make up over 50% of the population!

Not sure I agree with this (the women comedians on TV, not the population stats). In recent years on TV we've had Sharon Horgan, Tittybangbang, Catherine Tate, and Ruth Jones all making and starring in shows.