British Comedy Guide

Chase scene

SCENE: STREET SCENE. MAN RUNNING DOWN A TYPICAL URBAN STREET PURSUED BY TWO THUGS

F/X:STREET SOUNDS AND CHASE MUSIC

THUG #1: (SLIGHTLY OUT OF BREATH) No point in running Tony.

THUG#2:Make it easy on yourself.

THE THUGS HAVE ALMOST CAUGHT HIM NOW. THE MAN RUNNING SUDDENLY TURNS DOWN A SIDE ALLEY; CAUGHT BY SURPRISE THE TWO THUGS RUN PAST AND HAVE TO BACK TRACK. THE MAN TAKES ADVANTAGE AND RACES TOWARDS THE OTHER END OF THE ALLEY, GLANCING OVER HIS SHOULDER AND THEN LOOKING AHEAD. CAMERA SHOWS THE END OF THE NARROW ALLEY WHERE SAFETY LIES. SUDDENLY A CAR SCREECHES ACROSS THE ENTRANCE AND HIS ESCAPE IS BLOCKED.

F/X:MUSIC BECOMES EVER MORE FRANTIC

TWO MORE THUGS LEAP OUT OF THE CAR AS THE MAN HITS THE SIDE OF THE CAR AND RUNS BACK THE WAY HE CAME, ONLY TO SEE THE ORIGINAL THUGS APPROACHING AT A RUN.

F/X:MUSIC BECOMES EVEN MORE FRANTIC

THE MAN, NOW PLAINLY TERRIFIED SPOTS AN EVEN SMALLER ALLEY TO HIS LEFT AND DARTS DOWN IT PURSUED BY BOTH SETS OF BADDIES. HE TURNS A CORNER ONLY TO SEE A DEAD END WITH A BRICK WALL BLOCKING HIS PATH. HE DESPERATELY JUMPS AT IT, BUT TO NO AVAIL. THE THUGS ROUND THE CORNER AND SLOW TO A MENACING WALK PRODUCING VARIOUS WEAPONS (KNIVES, BLACKJACKS, THAT SORT OF THING) AS THE MAN FINALLY TURNS TO FACE THEM IN DESPERATION.

THUG #1: (SLAPPING THE BLACKJACK INTO HIS PALM) Nowhere to run to now Tony.

THUG#2:After the dance you've led us, this is going to be a pleasure.

ALL FOUR ADVANCE WITH GRIM PURPOSE. THE MAN LOOKS AROUND WILDLY FOR SALVATION AND SEES A BIN IN THE CORNER. AS THE MEN LUNGE FOR HIM HE LEAPS ONTO THE BIN

MAN:Den!

THE THUGS LOOK ANGRY AND CONFUSED. THUG # 1 THROWS DOWN HIS WEAPON.

THUG #1:Damn!

THEY WANDER OFF LOOKING ANGRY AND DISAPPOINTED WHILE THE MAN LOOKS TRIUMPHANT ON TOP OF THE BIN

Laughing out loud Nice.

I like the last line. :D

Excellent

Aah I get it very clever a big build up to a devastatingly simple punch top stuff.

Top notch sketch. V Good!

Yeap! Got to agree with everyone else

A goody.

I really enjoyed this. Well written and a sublime finish.

Excellent!

A solid concept crafted well.

The script might benefit from a note regarding F/X after the punchline, given its importance in the setup.

Once again, thanks to all for the encouraging words.

You're writing good stuff are you sending it anywhere?

I don't get the 'punchline', am I missing something?

We think he's being pursued by murderous thugs, he's infact playing a version of tag.

For the record,I was actually going for an alternate reality where the rules of tag apply even when pursued by gangland thugs...but your interpretation works just as well.

Oh, I don't get the "Den!" reference. I take it that it's an 'off ground touch' sort of thing then and probably depends where you're from. Was "grounds'" for me.