British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,717

I don't think it's possessive.

Indeed.

To say "1970s", for example, you're referencing a collection of years numbering 197x. It's plural. So unless you want to start writing "ball's" and "chip's" and "drink's", then there should be no apostrophe.

What about DVD's?

Quote: Aaron @ January 3 2009, 6:09 PM GMT

Indeed.

To say "1970s", for example, you're referencing a collection of years numbering 197x. It's plural. So unless you want to start writing "ball's" and "chip's" and "drink's", then there should be no apostrophe.

I realise it's a plural now. I was only confused by the designation of "1920s America," that is to say the America of the 1920s. I thought it might be possessive, obviously it isn't.

Quote: Leevil @ January 3 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

What about DVD's?

Yep, that's acceptable. :)

I can't do biology. Really, really at a loss. :( Should've taken geography.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ January 3 2009, 6:18 PM GMT

I can't do biology. Really, really at a loss. :( Should've taken geography.

Do you think you could find your way around that subject?

>_<

Quote: PhQnix @ January 3 2009, 6:14 PM GMT

I realise it's a plural now. I was only confused by the designation of "1920s America," that is to say the America of the 1920s. I thought it might be possessive, obviously it isn't.

Nah, 'cos that just means "America in the 1920s".

Quote: Leevil @ January 3 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

What about DVD's?

No.

Quote: Griff @ January 3 2009, 6:16 PM GMT

Aaron there are many uses for the apostrophe other than indicating plurals. It's too simplistic to say "if it's not plural then no apostrophe".

I didn't say that.

Quote: Moonstone @ January 3 2009, 6:20 PM GMT

Do you think you could find your way around that subject?

>_<

Well this one's just getting on my myelinated nerves. I can hardly respire aerobically anymore.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ January 3 2009, 6:24 PM GMT

I can hardly respire aerobically anymore.

Dunno what that is, but I bet Elliot ain't happy about it!

Laughing out loud It'd mean I was dead, or completely seized up with lactic acid!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ January 3 2009, 6:27 PM GMT

Laughing out loud It'd mean I was dead, or completely seized up with lactic acid!

Cripes! I was right at least - don't think he'd be overjoyed about that!

Unless the lactic acid was from an unusual booby growth?

What, so the idea of that would be to go to a really high altitude, think reaaaally hard, and hope that lactic acid became boob tissue rather than just brain damage? :P

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ January 3 2009, 6:40 PM GMT

What, so the idea of that would be to go to a really high altitude, think reaaaally hard, and hope that lactic acid became boob tissue rather than just brain damage? :P

Um....

OUT..OF...DEPTH

*runs*

I think Ian was just taken by the similarity between lactic acid and lactate, which is just weeeeeird.